Knee

Posted , 8 users are following.

has any one had or heard of a knee block for pain ??? they put u under and do sometime to stop pain it is not a steroid shot i heard they do it for a or during s tkr to help ease the pain

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

hi i had a nerve block put in when i had a mua in april but still no bend on the knee as of yet

• Posted

I was offered this, but encouraged to have the spinal block as it is longer lasting in numbing the pain.

• Posted

no am waiting on seein what he is guna do next as still can not bend it i had my replacement last october

• Posted

well i didnt have the knee block, so i can't comment on the effect of that, but i do know that the SB was good. The anaesthetist said i would be much more alert once i was awake & the pain relief would last so much longer. I'm having my other knee done in a few weeks & will definitely be having the same. Like Suzanne95756 , i too was experiencing vomiting an awful lot ( although i didn't feel ill at all ) & also i did wake up in the middle of the surgery, which i think is quite common, but of course you cant feel anything. They just gave me more seditive & i was away with the fairies again. When is your surgery Eimmarg ?

• Posted

Sorry Pauline300567, i thought i was answering Eimmarg.

• Posted

cant make the comment i scared to death and can not find the right doc right now i can bearly walk an d the pain is unbearable

• Posted

Hi. I had this done. i had a TKR last Sept. Spinal block instead of a general with extra block around the knee for pain relief.. I also had a sedative so although I was partially awake during the surgery, I wasn't really with it. I was hoping that i would be able to tolerate it better than the usual general, but was still sick and nauseous that evening. The pain relief did work well though so certainly worth considering.

• Posted

they wanted to do ablock on my knee and i have not had tkr this was to help eliminate pain ???? iv never heard of it

• Posted

It's called COOLIEF (Cooled Radiofrequency Ablation). The procedure (under fluoroscopy) takes 15 minutes with non-general anesthesia. In and out...real fast. This FDA-approved procedure temporarily shuts down the specific nerves that are causing the knee pain. The "cooled" technique allows for a larger ablated area thereby, hopefully, extending the amount of time you have pain relief.

I tried this for a hip issue as a diagnostic...didn't help because all my pain is coming from the L1/L2 disk. However, the doc said that he treats knee patients all the time so they can plan when they want the eventual TKR. Some of his patients have lasted up to two years pain free with COOLIEF. Then they come back and get it again...and again...

This is not an instant fix as it might take a month to notice the full effects of the procedure. Those nerves are pretty inflamed already and need time to rest. This is normal. There is a chance that COOLIEF will not work for you; it's not 100% guaranteed.

For more information go to the COOLIEF dot com website and locate a doctor near you certified in the procedure. Personally, when #2 starts to go, I'm ABSOLUTELY having this done!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.