Knee and Ankle pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been waiting for a knee replacement but my aches and pains are getting worse. My surgeon asked me to lose a stone in weight and then return. I have almost completed that task but my entire leg aches now.

​When I have been sat in the chair and rise from it the stiffness is terrible until I move around for a couple of mins. The pains are all the way down my leg to my ankle and I struggle to drive my car because the feet ache so much. Has anyone else had problems as such whilst having Osteo in their knees?

Kind RegardsDennis.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dennis, you are in good company with folks that understand the pains. Way to go on the weight loss. I waited until I was "old enough", which ended up being 9 years. By the time I went into to make the appointment, I could no longer walk without a horrible limp that was causing serious pain in my back and hips. One knee was totally shot and the other was right behind. I chose to have them both replaced at the same time. But prior to the surgery, I was advised to strengthen my muscles. I was also advised to work on walking normal. There was no way I could do that, but I did find relief in a pool. I worked on walking normal (the mind really needed the training) and I was able to swim laps and gain some muscle mass as I lost some weight. What I didn't work on was my core. My stomach muscles weren't prepared for all they needed to do after the surgery and I ended up with an umbilical hernia. So, while you are working on your weight loss, it might help you to work on strengthening your quads and abs...more information than you asked for, sorry.

Oh and something that I found after my surger that has really helped with some knee cap problems I'm having is Boltaren Gel (it's diclofenac sodium topical gel 1%). Other's have mentioned it on this forum too. It's only available with a prescription in the USA, not sure what the laws are across the pond.

-Mo

• Posted

And I thank you for your reply. I have been training for the past couple of years at a local sports centre Gym but I can only do the cross trainers, cycles and rowing. I do the weights and ab training but when the surgeon told me to lose the weight I was eating all the wrong things plus I like a beer or three. It seemed as if I was training just to compensate my eating and drinking habits but this time I have now cut the beers out apart from weekends and dont eat many carbs etc.

​I am scared of the operation and prolonged it for a little too long. I will see my Doctor soon to tell him I have lost the stone I was asked to lose and get the ball rolling tohave the knee replacement. Hopefully I will get some relief once the pain from the op have disappeared.

Kind regardsDennis.

• Posted

Sounds like you are set. As you recover from the surgery, you will find this forum is great for getting answers. Your surgeon/doctors/PT will have some great text book answers for you, but most likely they haven't gone through it themselves. I've found the folks on here to be a great source for helping me feel normal and realize I'm not in the bad place I feared.

-Mo

• Posted

Oh yes.  And to let you know what you've got in store when you have the TKR, please enjoy...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

It will be worth it...eventually...

PS: It's called Voltaren Gel and it is THE BEST topical anti-imfammatory on the planet.

• Posted

There is a generic version here in the US.  Even though you need a prescription, most Medicare insurances do not cover it, but it is possible to get your doctor to write a simple line or 2 on an application stating your need, and then the insurance will cover it. I use Voltaren-generic daily and think it is worth ir's weight in gold.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.