Knee and Calf Pain with Broken Ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my ankle 3.5 weeks ago. Within the last few days my calf muscle and knee have become sore. Could this be to do with immobility and moving around a heave cast leg.  Anyone else have this problem? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

As time goes by you will notice all different aches and pains. My knee caked quite a bit and felt sore, think it's because we carry our body weight different with the cast/boot. I noticed I tended to twist my body bur not my leg (hard to explain) but it will all settle in time. I'm 18 weeks in and still get aches n pains in different places. 😔. Sx

• Posted

Yes it is from dragging cast and the muscle starts to weaken with lack of mobility. Before you go into boot look at getting an Even Up Shoe. As uneven walking and heaving boot around also causes secondary injury. As soon as you start weight bearing use shoe on good foot. If using crutches strap wrists protect them. 
  • Posted

My uninsured leg calf and ankle ache bc I haven't been wearing a shoe / even up shoe w my knee scooter.  I've been barefoot.  As for the injured leg I didn't have calf pain at three weeks. 

• Posted

Thanks.  I feel better knowing I'm not alone. I will be looking into special shoes for when the doctor tells me I can start weight bearing. 4 weeks to go. Best of luck in healing to all. 

• Posted

The Even Up is just one shoe that fits over the top of your sneaker on good foot to give level walking. They're not very attractive but neither is hip knee or back pain. The boot suppliers in Australia sometimes sell them but most order on amazon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.