knee and hip pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since starting orencia i have had more knee pain. I now have hip pain which i have never had before. Is it the orencia or the RA taking up residence in my other joints. Ugggghhh. Thoughts anyone? Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi tammierick,

I am not on orencia, but I can tell you from recent experience that I was on one med for RA and then was changed to a 'better' med (MTX) and the MTX caused more pain and more fatigue for me. I was on it almost 3 months and finally told my Rheumy I was going back to my old drug until we could find something else.

My guess is that since the pain started to increase once you started the drug, it may be your body either adjusting to it, or just not liking it. These drugs shouldn't cause extra pain; they should be making it more tolerable. How long have you been on the orencia? If it's only been a few weeks, I'd say give it time to see if it's just your body adjusting to the drug. If you've been on it a few months, my thought is that this drug may not be the one for you. 

Good luck and I hope things improve for you! Keep us posted!

• Posted

I was on MTX for over 20 years before it stopped working . For the first several months I used to  hurt , be nauseaus & very fatigued the day after taking it but after a few years Dr. put me on the injection and I didn't have those problems any more.
    • Posted

Thank you. I have been on orencia for a month. Have been on methotrexate, arava, xeljanz, humira and enbrel. Humira worked but got infections from all of these meds. I am now on orencia and taking an antibiotic for probably the rest of my life to keep my upper respiratory tract infections at bay so i can be on these meds. The hip pain is very new so i am not sure what to think. I was hoping so much it would work because the next step is infusion and i dont want to do those. I wonder also if the pain can be because i have not been on a med that gas helped for awhile. I can go on a low dose prednisone but i hate that med. It helps but dont like the side effects. Thanks for your input.
    • Posted

Wow i wish i could find a med and be on it for even a year. I am glad u found something that helped you. Yippee
  • Posted

I'm just waiting to go onto Orencia. Was on it 4 or 5 years ago and had good results but developed skin cancer so took me off but they now know it wasn't from the Orencia.
    • Posted

I hope orencia continues to work for you. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi, I have found that Orencia can definitely be associated with body pain, leg pain cramping and leg spasms.. when researching this further, others have said eating a banana a day (potassium) and a small amt of mineral water with quinine helped immensely.
    • Posted

Thank you. Mine isnt so much leg cramps or spasms but in the joint. My potassium is never low on my labs. It is frustrating
  • Posted

Actually a smaller amt of tonic water with quinine is what is highly recommended rather than the fizzy mineral water as the quinine is much more effective in the tonic water. This and a banana a day (potassium) is what has worked for many with these painful muscle spasms. I also took magnesium (magnesium glycinate) with a 1:1 ratio with calcium with d3 which is responsible for over 300 muscle, protein, bone and other enzyme reactions, including restless leg syndrome and the pain went away very quickly. Apparantly for some, orencia depletes some needed nutrients in the body. Im guessing it depends on what your levels are when starting this medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.