Knee and hip pain related?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had pain in my right hip for some time now, but only when I'm in bed and lay on that side usually.  3 weeks ago I woke up with a pain down the inside of my right knee which made me limp a little.  I expected it to go off after a couple of days.  However, the limp has got worse and the pain in my hip has started at night again.  I'm now not sure whether the hip has produced the knee problem or vice versa.  Anyone else had a hip problem that produced a knee problem?  I would love to know whether anything can be done.  I don't really want to bother the GP with something if it will just go off after a few weeks, but it is getting me down as I feel like an old lady!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My friend has had 2tkrs in the last 6 months and is now awaiting 2 hip replacements she is a very positive lady who is an inspiration to any one she meets. 
  • Posted

I had hip pain with both knee replacements because they repaired both a bow leg and a knock knee. They were very painful especially at night. Once I got into the pool I did lots of hip exercises and they eventually went away. I am at 9 weeks with knee #2 and they are rarely so sore that I can't roll over and go back to sleep again. I understand that the pain is due to the hip adjusting to tracking over the knee again as we learn to walk properly again. Hang in there! I found that naproxen (aleve) was the best and tylenol and ibuprophen hardly touched the pain.
  • Posted

Hi Mrpip, 10 years ago I had a lot of pain in my groin, down my leg, and particularly in my knee. If someone had offered me a TKR I'd have agreed ! But it was referred pain from my hip and when that was replaced the pain in my knee disappeared smile

The source of pain is sometimes not immediately obvious but I would visit your GP and get his advice

good luck

• Posted

What you describe is typical of trochanteric bursitis - inflammation that is like housemaids knee but in the hip. It can also cause pain in the groin if it gets bad enough.

The best way to deal with it is a cortisone injection to reduce the inflammation - icing may help if it is just mild but not always.

• Posted

I have calcification of the medial collateral ligament which is on the inside of the knee. Prior to a steroid injection, I awoke several times in the middle of the night with terrible pain in both my hip and my knee.  I was told it isnt related, but since my knee pain is better, so is my hip pain.  I am not suggesting you have the same problem with your knee but I feel you have to have it checked out. dd
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  What did you have done to fix your hip?
  • Posted

I didnt do anything for my hip.  Since my knee stopped hurting after the injection, my hip became less of a problem.  I am not sure if my hip starts to hurt because I walk differently when my knee hurts.  But the pain was always the worst at night for both knee and hip.  I got very little sleep for 8 months until one of three drs. that I saw finally made the diagnosis and I got the injection.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and go to see the Dr - I just dread weeks and months of possible appointments... My hip has largely stopped hurting now but and my knee is pretty much ok unless I walk for more than about 100 feet. Then my whole leg seems to kind of sieze up and the muscles ache as if not enough blood is getting through. Errgh - not sure if it's the knee or the hip or that I have just started thinking about how I walk too much!
  • Posted

I am glad you are going to the dr.  There has to be a reason you are in pain.  Once they know the reason, perhaps there is a solution that isnt that invasive.  Good luck !

Keep us posted.

• Posted

Finally asked the GP about it. As it was a rushed question at the end of something else I'd gone about she didn't even touch it. I was asked where it hurt, whether it swelled, locked or gave way. Told that it was probably a ligament and that I could put my name down for physio but that the list wa very long. I said yes, better to get my name down. Now I have a wait till the middle of April... My GP is really good normally and I love the NHS so I'm not going to criticise it, but I'm worried that as she didn't touch it that it may be something else that is going to be aggravated by not having the correct treatment. BTW my hip pain isn't constant or even every night, just now and again so not sure that it is related!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.