Knee anthrascapy surgery - recovery time

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had a torn lateral meniscus on my knee for 10 months leaving me unable to walk very far. I finally got a date for day surgery of next week (3/4/18) but this has subsequently been cancelled because of lack of theatre staff. I have a new date of 24th May but I'm concerned because this is just 2 weeks before we go on a 17 night holiday to northern Scotland. It is a 3 day drive to get there. I'm struggling to get any advice on whether or not I will be well enough to travel and get told "the recovery time for everyone is different". Can anyone let me know their experience of recovery. I'm 65 and am now unfit and overweight due to 10 months inactivity. If I don't go for 24th May, then the next date will be 5th July and I'm desperate to be fit again.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jill, I would suggest you contact the hospital team and ask what they think, it's not major surgery so in theory like they say healing/recovery are mostly down to the individual, tell them when you ring that you cannot cancel your holiday, would you manage your holiday if you go as you are? I think you would need lots of stops either way, will you be able to see someone up their to have dressings changed, ask all these questions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.