Knee Arthoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

9 1/2 weeks ago I had knee arthoscopy done. 3 things were done. Lateral release, cyst removed from my ACL and an arthritis scrape. What are the chance of having more pain after surgery than before? Has anyone else experienced this? My surgeon said he may have to book me in for my right knee again before he does the left. I can't go up or down stairs with out wanting to cry. Cant get up off the couch with out this excruciating pain. Using is toilet is not fun either. I really hope other have experienced this as well. Also i all a 32 year old female

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, really sorry to hear you’re in such horrid pain. I had awful pain for the 3 days after arthroscopy (I had a chuvknof medial cartilage removed) - could barely move my leg without sobbing, couldn’t walk and so like you i needsd help going to the loo, getting dressed etc, and I slept downstairs as the stairs were an absolute no!! The reason may be completely different from you, but it turned out I had had bleeding into the knee joint. I phoned the hospital in tears on that day 3, asking if this pain was normal, they got me to go straight back in, I needed a wheelchair and getting in the car was horrendous. The surgeon confirmed blood in the joint (not meant to happen, but I was an u lucky one) and then he syringed out three large syringes of blood. That wasn’t a fun experience but the pain relief was instant. I actually walked (hobbled on crutches anyway) out to go home, as I could finally put a little weight on my leg again. It sadly deteriorated again over a week, & I had to go back for another syringe of blood to be removed, but that was the last one. I know your pain has been going on a lot longer, but if you’re worried (& that level of pain that far on from the op doesn’t sound right to me) go back and get them to see you. I was being “very british” about it those first few days and thought it must be normal, but it definitely wasn’t! Hope you get some relief soon x

• Posted

Went to see surgeon today. Ill be going back in for major surgery in a few months. This is going to suck big time.
    • Posted

Hi, oh no that’s not good news, sorry that you need more surgery. I have learnt that knees are just so tricky & in some people can take a long time to get sorted. This forum has been a huge help for me in terms of support & finding people that understand the upset & frustration. It is utterly miserable losing your independence & not being able to get out and about. I cried a lot, and still do! If you need to talk to anyone people on here will understand how you feel, so don’t feel alone. Even if it’s just to have a rant! After the joint bleeding I mentioned, my leg wouldn’t bend or straighten & after a few weeks they got me back in for a ‘manipulation under anaesthetic’ due to internal scarring, and after that a second MUA a couple of weeks later. There I was in June thinking the arthroscopy was a relatively simple op & I’d be back to “normal” within a couple of months. As it is, I am  still having a lot of physio & can’t do a lot of activities still now 6 months on due to quad & glute weakness & swelling. I was trawling through the internet trying to find out anything about what had happened to me, and found a couple of lovely ladies on here that had been experiencing similar issues, it just felt comforting to chat and be understood.

I hope your pain eases asap & the surgery is a success. 

• Posted

Knee surgery is not quock to recover from that's for sure. So this is what I will be having done. My surgeon told me that i will have same incision like someone ge gass from replacement. But this is what will be done.

medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction with hamstring

right knee fulkerson osteotomy

• Posted

Supposed to say hamstring graft
  • Posted

I too had meniscus surgery 4 months ago and can still only walk about 1km before it really hurts. I can drive for no more than half an hour. Had a jab 3 weeks ago which is supposed to give several months relief but it hasn’t worked yet. Hope yours gets better soon
    • Posted

Went to see surgeon today. Ill be going back in for major surgery in a few months. This is going to suck big time.

• Posted

Well i had the fulkerson osteotomy done. Holy man. Its been brutal. I'm only 3 weeks in. My independance is gone sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.