Knee/Back issue, totally confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am a 48 year old who has been active all my life, rugby, cricket.cycling etc.

About 18 months I was experiencing sciatic pain and my movement in my left meant I couldn't run. I did all the normal things physio etc but was still getting pain and mechanics of my left leg were not right.

I had a back scan that showed a disc in L5 S1 area was bulging, again, I had physio, traction, dry needles, acupuncture but still my left woudl not work.

In February 2018 I had a disc replacement, sciatic pain went but my left leg still did not work, I could walk but with a limp and had knee pain.

Knee scan showed a bit of arthritis but nothing too bad, had cortisone injection but no change and knee/leg would still not work and cannot run.

I had nerve tests from hip to toe which showed no issue.

So 18 months on I am no further forward.

When I walk I limp, I cannot run on the spot or run full stop. On static cycling machine I have no issues and have proper movement. I am also stumblign and have fallen over on numerous occasions but i do not have dizziness.

I am totally fed up with the whole thing, any advice on what the issue may be?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Just some thoughts from my own experiences...

Back in 2009, I was having a lot of right knee problems. This is many years after two scopes on that knee for a meniscus tear and a ripped off femoral condyle cartilage. The arthritis left me bone on bone so the ortho thought TKR. But before he did it, he suggested an MRI of my RIGHT HIP...with contrast. Result: 30% of my right hip was dead...so this ended up as a hip replacement and it fixed ALL of the pain on my right side and knee. Now I'm 70 and my right knee is still original. Lesson: hip problems can cause leg and knee pain. I'd take a look at the hip.

Second, there could still be something wrong in your spine affecting that side. If the neuro did an MRI and fixed what he saw, there may be something else wrong. A CT/Myelogram with contrast is the "gold standard" test for the spine...gives the doc a complete map of everything that's going on. To rule out anything spine-related, I'd have that test done. Then you might want to consider taking everything to another neurosurgeon for a second opinion. Not inconceivable that doc #1 missed something.

I think the way to approach this is to rule out everything that it can't be. That will zero the docs in on the actual cause of your pain. One time I had severe sciatica on the right side that NOTHING worked. Chiropractor, PT, acupuncture, pain shots...nothing. My neuro did an MRI and saw that L4 looked "unusual". It wasn't until he actually opened me up, that he found a bone spur literally "crushing" my sciatic nerve root. Did not show up on the MRI. Quick laminectomy...all pain gone. You just never know...gotta keep looking.

• Posted

I'm on to see a neurologist now. you mentioned the hip thing and that's interesting, I really have to concentrate walking upstairs to keep me knee straight, if I don't it swings out. also when I walk my left foot tends to hit the floor flat and when I do a lot of walking my toe next to my big toe goes numb.

all in all its frustrating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.