Knee bursitis? Chronic knee pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Many years ago i was told my painful knee was a bursitis, that was it. no follow up. as the years went by the pain continued and i was sent for xrays of the hips and knees. I was told about three years ago that I had arthritis of the hips and would need replacements in a couple of years. I remember thinking at the time its my knee not my hips thats causing me so much pain. i now know my hips hurt badly too.

AS time has gone by and several trips to the dr and a couple of cortisone injections my knee problems got worse, to the stage i now hobble and need a walking aid and am in constant pain.

I asked to be referred for a replacement knee and was seen quickly. i had xray of knees and was told that they wasn't too bad. i mentioned the hips and the consultant looked back at the old xray and said that was the cause of my knee pain and would consider me for hip replacements.

i have put the op on hold as i need another for another problem.

Going back to the bursitis could that the cause of my swollen knee which feels mostly warm to the touch and hurts when active or at rest.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

once my knee is inflamed from bursitis it causes the area to be swollen and the knee looses function from the friction created from the bursa not adding enough fluid to the knee for smother function.

• Posted

i am so very sorry about the years of suffering. I HAVE learned that 2 nd opinions help i had right TKR 2/17 and am fine but left hurt me terribly. First new DR said my knee cap was dislocated, gave me cortisone injection but that didnt last. SO i went back to my original DR and xrays shown arthritis and bone on bone. Just received third effluxa injection and hoping that buys me another year till i can get replacement. Get another opinion.. im also going to chiropractor fir sciatica issue on left side . i hope you get relief soon

• Posted

i thinK i may make an appointment to see another GP to see what they say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.