Knee clicking after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 3 and 1/2 months post op and recently developed a clicking sound and feeling in the knee. It is a bit bothersome and I hope something didn't come loose for lack of a better term It does bother me after walks of more than a mile or so.

Does anyone have any input ?? Thanks ............

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm coming up to 6 months and still have intermittent clunks and clicks and an odd feeling, was told:

'The reason for clicking is because the nice soft, impact absorbing cartilage in a natural knee joint has been replaced with hard metal and plastic. In addition, your muscles and ligaments may be a bit slack after the surgery and can take weeks to tighten up. In the meantime, your bone ends (with their implants) have a tendency to make a noise when they come into contact with each other. Just tap a spoon on your table top - it's the same thing.'

Cycling and swimming can help apparently. Although if you have any pain, deformity or swelling with it, see your doctor. Good luck!

• Posted

Yup...very common. Could last for up to 18 months as it gradually goes away. You will NOT notice when it stops...you'll just realize one day that it's gone.

• Posted

Thanks again for your insight.I find cycling to be great........but walking more than a mile or two brings on some swelling and mild pain..........Normal at this 3 and 1/2 month stage?

• Posted

Time and distance are irrelevant...it's the number of STEPS that really count. Every step puts pressure on the new joint...too many in one day and you get "balloon knee" which takes icing, elevation and time to recover from. Get a fit bit or smart watch and TRACK YOUR STEPS. The software will graph your progress. I did 8,200+ steps at 5 weeks and had the knee swell for three days...learned my lesson. I recovered and gradually increased my steps. By 8 months, I was up to 11,000 a day. It's a slow, gradual process.

Also, it's time to start rebuilding all the atrophied muscles that support the knee...quads, glutes, core and more...

Muscle Rebuild

As the muscled get stronger, they will take up the load they were intended to do and there will be less pressure on the knee itself resulting in less pain. This is a critical part of your rehab. With the strength back, you'll walk correctly, regain your balance and be able to do stairs again, alternately without holding on to anything, like a normal person.

Slow and steady...the whole thing takes about a year...more or less. No one can predict the length of your recovery and don't compare yours to that of anyone else. It's very individual. No expectations...just time, work and patience.

• Posted

HI CHICO

All this makes sense i just dont understand if your other knee is bad or not great, you cant do all the sane exercises i dont think ?

MY 3 year old PkR has been giving me some issues and so has my other " good " knee that supposedly has a knee cap issue from a fall several years back.

anyway i am sadly thinking i may be looking at replacement in the pkr but then if the other one is bad ? ( havent made the doc apt yet) But im not happy about any of it . HAVE been cutting down on the activities that i think are causing the issues. that being said i had thought i wouldnt need to he doing that . much of it is when im with grandkids . Up and down off floor and carrying baby and such . And then doing my long walking exercise.

i wonder if i had two new knees if i would be in better shape . i dont like needing to be careful and cautious all the time especially since ive already been through a knee surgery ! I cant even think about having tkr and all that time off work . Not Happy !

Debbie

• Posted

We've heard about some people not happy with a PKR wishing they had the whole knee replaced. Don't know the numbers but we've certainly heard from both the happy and the sad.

I've been lucky in that my other knee is "OK". That's a conditional statement since I had four knee scopes, two each side, back in my 50s to repair meniscus and femoral condyle, again both sides. Both were bone on bone with arthritis so I had the Synvisc shots for years. Worked very well. Then I moved to a MUCH warmer climate and needed NOTHING for over 6 years. Finally needed the TKR on the left but the right side, even in its condition, is totally pain free so I'm not complaining.

You should look into COOLIEF (Cooled Radiofrequency Ablation). Temporarily stops the nerves from producing pain in joints, especially knees. In some, the procedure lasts two years and they get it done again and again to put off the TKR. FDA approved. Google their website and find a certified doc in your area. Maybe that will help.

• Posted

thank you Chico for this info and replying !!

very grateful !

You have been lucky with that other knee !

Hope it continues . I Had thought you had both knees done .

thank you

Debbie

• Posted

Just wondering where in the knee? I get a funny 'popping' sensation accompanied by sharp pain, but only occasionally. It's the bottom of the knee, to the side (both left and right sides). I am 2 months post op

• Posted

Mine feels as if it is right in the joint ..maybe towards the knee cap as well........weird.......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.