Knee Damage Meniscus acl and pcl starting to struggle

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi suffered damage to my left knee playing football  in March this year. I was off work for ten weeks took approx 6 weeks for the swelling in my knee to go down then another  4 weeks of physio , trying to improve movement and being able to walk without to much pain during or after. I had an MRI which showed I had torn my meniscus, completely torn my ACL and had a grade 2 sprain in my PCL although another doctor said it was a partial tear. I Am waiting to go in for an operation in 4 weeks to repair/tidy up the meniscus and they are going to put a camera in to assess the rest of my knee. The problem is I am really starting to struggle particularly after walking doesn't matter how far or fast I walk, five minutes after I stop my legs are gone. I am also starting to get a lot of pain in my right knee could this just be because of the extra weight it's having to bear because my left knee is damaged? Will it go away after my left knee is repaired or could my right knee be getting damaged or worn?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar injury 15 years ago ,but not the pcl, when descending a particularly steep mountain.  The clean up op worked well and i was off crutches after a week and without a stick two weeks later. I maged ok for a few years but now have to have tkr because when they cleaned up my knee there was no cartilage left. Before the op I was in a lot of pain but the op worked well . Don't know about football in the future though. Sorry. All the best.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm only 27 the now so I'm thinking about long term side affects. After the meniscus is done I may need a 2nd surgery to repair my ACL depending on rehab and extent of damage to my knee overall. It is starting to feel like both my knees are gone because of the extra strain but hopefully that's a temporary feeling. It feels like knee is going against bone on both knees
  • Posted

it does put a lot of strain on the other knee and I was terrified that I was going to have the same problem with the other one but it eased once I had the op. it is alarming that you are so young. I was 52 when it happened to me but you have youth on your side and the natural wear and tear won;t apply to you for a long time yet. All my problems stemmed from a broken tib and fib in my early twenties but i went on for years climbing my mountains.
  • Posted

The pain in your good knee is likely due to the excessive work it is doing to compensate for the other once the bad knee is repaired the other should slowly recoup   The torn muscles can be as bad or worse than a broken bone. It takes time, lots of time to heal. Follow your doctors instructions ask a lot of questions.  Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.