Knee extension

Posted , 8 users are following.

Besides things the physical therapist says, what has helped you to get full extension? Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Try using Coban elastic material which should have been supplied to u. Wrap around the foot, raise the leg and push down (ouch). Flex the foot (toe to the sky). Repeat this throughout the day while being a cauch potato.Also, "hang your foot" on a higher level chair than u are sitting on. This will stretch all

Muscles in back of leg

• Posted

Sit on a high stool, on a cushion if need be, and swing your legs, back and forth.

it was one of the older nurses that told me to do this, and it definitely loosens and stretches everything.

• Posted

This exercise was on a list I was sent home with .. well worth it smile

• Posted

Jenn - I lay face down on my bed and my legs hang off the bed from above the knee - gravity pulls your legs down - I can stay 10 min now but it still hurts. I think what has helped me the most tho is doing my exercises in the pool. Best wishes you'll get there!

• Posted

Bike helped me a LOT. just keeping moving as well. Use stairs. 
  • Posted

All replies are good but also for some it takes time and retraining muscles /brain plus confidence that it won't hurt. Early rehab exercises are good long term and also strengthening surrounding muscles - quads and hamstrings really helps. Swelling and scar tissue varies so just keep at it until one day it will come

• Posted

Also expectations should vary. Some are saying things like I got 120 deg after three weeks while others are saying they only had 60 deg after three months! It would be useful if people said what they had before the op. Some might have had full extension but had the op because of pain. Mine had been only 90 deg for several years due to Osteoarthritis and is now back to 90 deg after 6 weeks. I'm hoping for moe but it is clearly going to take time.

Dave

• Posted

So true, I've had osteoarthritis since my 30s and had to wait until old enough for the op, so my bend/exentension was bad anyway, and all my muscles and gait are wrong.  So bending, extending, correcting gait and major need to improve muscles and core - but feeling so much more positive.  Like you, not sure how far I will get but I am going to keep trying ... indeed we are all so different. Good luck

• Posted

......... and good luck to you to Suzie. As I said, we are all different but some more similar than others it seems ;-)

Dave

• Posted

Ooh me, me, I know, miss! cheesygrin

Its a bit odd - but it worked for me.....Get a set of oven gloves - the ones that are a mitt at each end joined by fabric in the middle. Can of baked beans/kidney beans/vegetable of choice in each "pocket". Pop your foot onto a stool/bench/pouffe so thet your leg is straight out in front of you, and gently drape the oven glove over your knee, one can on each side. Easy does it, I had to set a timer for 2 minutes in the early days, it hurt a lot and it helped to have something to count down to. BuI was soon up to 10 minutes and a straight leg smile 

They say that neccessity is the mother of invention - and Im sure that a fair few of us have come up with odd little ways of getting the results we need. 

Take care and good luck with that extention!

Terri xx

• Posted

Might try that. Although my wife might expect me to do some baking if she catches me with the oven gloves idearolleyes

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.