Knee feels like it's giving way!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am 55 and have bad osteoarthritis in my big toes and mild in my hands and knees.  At least I thought it was mild until this week.  My rght knee became very painful on Tuesday and has worsened as the week has gone on.  Today it felt as if it was going to give way especially when I'm going downstairs.

Does anyone else get this?  It seems a very fast deterioration and I'm concerned that it may be something other than my OA.  Especially as my gait is starnge because of my bad feet.  I walk on my heels and the outside of my feet to avoid putting pressure on my big toes.  Now I am wondering whether this has caused me muscle damage.  The top of my tibia is very painful when I press on it.

I have a GP appointment on Monday but I'm wondering whether it's more urgent than that and what I should do in the mean time

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too am seeing a doctor tomorrow. A few weeks ago he diagnosed osteoarthritis in my fingers.

My index one is the worst, it became very inflamed and blisters formed, but very little pus was released when the doctor checked. It appears in my case to be heredity. I know that my mother had it in her hands but little else. I have no other family members to ask it it progressed to other areas. My mum was 56 when she passed away from a heart attaick, I too was 56 this month.

about 6 years ago I was also ddiagnosed with a liver condition. This resulted in my having a stent in place to assist my liver. 

Problem is, due to the liver condition, I cannot take any over the counter pain medicine.

three days ago my left knee gave way under me. The pain is extreemly high and I can hardly walk upstairs or bend the knee. I'm hoping it's something other than osteoarthritis 

what treatment is available if it is? 

• Posted

If it is OA I'm not sure.  The arthritis in my knees isn't too bad and that's why I was so concerned about the sudden deterioration.  This looks to be caused by the odd way I walk which in turn is caused by the bad OA in my big toes.  

Your condition sounds like mine which was/is due to ligament and muscle strain.  I was told to rest my legs as much as possible for a week and to avoid stairs and hills as much as possible.  It is now a lot better but not 100%.  I see a physio in just over a week so I'll see what she says

Hope this helps

• Posted

My dr also sent me to a podiatrist to help fit me with arches. As we age our arches fall and change the dynamics of our feet. Good shoes with soft support and resting feet helps a lot.

i have to admit my shoes were a big help once I found the right combination for me as well as arch supports. It also effects the whole body. Back hips Knees & ankles. 

Also freeze a water bottle and roll under arches in a sitting position helps the knees stay in the slots the tendons provide for the knee cap and arches and feet. 

Try knee bends. Feet out slightly and bend up and down . This helps strengthen the tendon that supports the knee cap. Use a counter top for support until you can do them without leaning on anything for support. 

This really got my knees back. Hope you can too! It takes time and after a few weeks I noticed the difference. Starting out with a few knee bends holding on to counter to doing 35 per knee without holding on to a chair or counter. 

Physio in water is also a goo way to help knee injuries and provide strengthening for feet as well as al joints.

• Posted

Thank you.  I fear my arches are going as well as I seem to curl my toes under when I walk.  I'll try knee bends and water bottle tomorrow 
    • Posted

Very important to see a podiatrist to fell with adding arches to shoes. As the arches fail and fall as we age the fatty deposits that cushion our feet also fail .

i have tried shots in my feet and the best fix for the pain is arches spring shoes and good walking genies as well as rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.