Knee flexion after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I dislocated my knee at work Dec. 20th. 2017. Been off work since then. As it was a workers comp case it took me 3 months to get my surgery. Had an open knee realignment and I'm assuming it involved a lateral release. Well, my knee was immobilized straight for those 3 months prior to surgery. Had my surgery March 12th so I'm a month post op right now.

Knee bending is going very slow barely able to get 60 degree bend atm. Started pt this Wed, have me going 3 days a week for next 4 weeks.Was able to achieve full extension tonight, so happy about that but the bending is so frustrating right now. Any help, tips and encouragement would be appreciated. Anyone else going through this? Thanks for any feedback!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is normal as the knee works great when it has been exercised at PT but the minute I would leave it would stiffen up again and hurt. I did the exercises twice a day and used ice and heat both.  Knee still can’t get all the way back to my rear but it is close.  I am 4 months out and also have had setbacks but finally now feel I have turned the corner.  Knee still swells but getting better.  I really think exercise really helps.  I exercise a lot but have done 5 days per week for 46 years.  I think it caused my back and knee surgeries.  I pray I never have to have knee surgery again!  This was my third knee surgery, two meniscus surgery before the TKR.  You are doing good, just keep up doing a few exercises everyday at home but don’t overdue it.  Time will make it better. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your input. My therapist pushed my stretch today and I wanted to hit the wall...lol. But achieved 5 degrees more on it, so I was happy after, but not during it! She said it will be a slower recovery but it will happen. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Carol you sound like me! Always exercised since I had a desk job. Step arrobics, cycling, yoga, weights

Then my first meniscus tear happened. Then the second! Had surgery in November and I'm afraid to tear it again! Luckily no arthritis but I did my step last week and could hardly walk from the pain! I hate the stationary bike. It's soooo boring! What have you found that works now? Thank you.

• Posted

I took up cycling when I found out 12 years ago that I needed a TKR. Any impact sports were completely out of the question running, step, skipping etc. My avatar is a picture taken a few years ago at a charity boxing event we had to train for 8 weeks to learn how to box unfortunately it included skipping, I started getting pain in my good knee, a physio did an assessment and said I had bruised my meniscus cartilage and if I carried on doing what I was doing it would tear. I still did the boxing match but haven't done anything that silly since. So my advice would be low impact exercise, cycle outside its a lot more interesting that a stationary bike x

• Posted

Hello again. Finished my third week of PT today. Things are improving, but very slowly and I think that is my biggest problem. I want it now and my knee says, "no way"...lol. Before, they had me measured at 65 degrees of flexion and that was her really pushing against it.

This Wednesday, I made 68 degrees on my own and 72 with her pushing. So, some forward progress at least. I'll take it. Ive had days where I'm just totally bummed out and others, like Wednesday I feel like I'm on top of the world! Keep grinding, pushing, each day is new and never quit! Til next time....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.