Knee & foot pain advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here and need some advice as not sure what I should do next!

I'm 46 now but originally had problems with my knees using stairs and walking down hills when I was about 30, an x-ray showed early stages of a degenerate disease. I had a couple of physio sessions but not much help.  It's gradually got worse since then and after hurting my knee moving furniture a couple of years ago I had a scan which showed (among other things) severe osteoarthritis, the doctor was no help and practically said there's nothing much they can do. I went for another private physio session by which time the damage I did while moving the furniture was starting to heal so was just back to the usual aches and pains.

Now for the last few months I've really been suffering with pains in my left foot, starting around the big toe.  Blood tests ruled out arthritis and gout but x-ray results have come back showing OA.  It's been that painful I really thought I must have fractured something but that's not the case.  I tried Co-codamol and naproxen for a couple of weeks but they made no difference so didn't want to be on addictive painkillers that weren't actually helping.

Now I don't know whether to go back to the doctors who just don't seem very understanding or whether to try a podiatrist for advice on my feet at least as it's painful all the time now which means I'm not walking straight/properly which has a further effect on my knees and hips. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The OA in my feet has not gotten to the point of being troublesome.  For my fingers though, I do exercises that really help.  Uncertain if there are exercises for OA in the feet.  You may want to ask your Physical Therapist if there are any exercises you can do to alleviate stiffness and pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.