Knee fracture recovery period after brace comes off

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well I thought my knee fracture was healed but after going to PT I started getting the same pain.  Went to doctor said pain is still the fracture but the fracture looks smoothed over but I will still get pain there.

He said go to PT for range of motion exercise but no weight bearing but he told me to take off brace and start walking with crutches.

I can bend my knee a little but I can't lock my knee out.  I'm afraid that PT will push me too much and hurt me again.  I will tell them to look at the xrays.

But does anyone have stories of how long it will take for my knee to get back to normal?  

Thanks 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Before you try to "lock" your knee, strengthen the thigh muscles. Only when you have a good range of movement and strength will you be able to lock your knee.  Take off your brace.  There are plenty of exercises you can do without weights, take baby steps, this is not a marathon and make patience your best friend.  If you are in pain, take pain killers, if there is swelling; take anti inflammatory pills.  You are not being a wuss, pain will stop you wanting to take that extra step.  Walk around your house, without the crutch, hold onto furniture, walls, slow so you can get your balance.  Before you know it you will be pushing yourself.  But not yet.
  • Posted

I do not know about knee fractures but I did have a PKR and you still have to let bones heal and that takes a while.  PT personel  are usually very well trained and see all kinds of injuries and know how to handle them.  Just continue with the Pt and take the meds doctor gave you and be patient , the body will heal!
  • Posted

Thank you both for your comments.  Sueisobel you make me feel much better about locking out my knee. 

And thank  you both for your encouragement.  I thought the brace would come off and I would be walking around right away.  It is taking a lot of time.

• Posted

You are very welcome. Sometimes we are so hard on ourselves.  We want everything now!  You will get there. When you exercise think about what muscle you are using. Make the movements deliberate.  You are doing fine.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.