knee gets very hot to the touch after replacement.

Posted , 7 users are following.

my haubby had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago, his knee get so HOT on the sides of his knee to touch it. Do you know why it's doing this or is it normal?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dianna.. I think it is normal  I had my TKR 8 weeks ago and mine is still very hot at times.... just healing I think.... best wishes to hubby.
    • Posted

thank you Mary. all I can look forword too is one day this will stop. you guys have all a big help to me.
  • Posted

I don' tknow why Dianna but it;s normal, as everyone on here will tell you. I am 6 weeks 5 days and some days it is very hot, others not so much but the more I do the more swollen and hot it gets. He will go through a lot but elevate, ice and exercise. The three magic words.
    • Posted

thank you Carol, you all sre great. Now I know this is normal. you all are great.

• Posted

Hi Dianna. Think you will find this is quite normal. It is the ongoing stage of healing. I am 11weeks post op and my knee still gets hot, painful and swollen. You will find his knee will also be very stiff and heavy. I'm afraid it's a long hard road. I am at the stage where I can confidently walk and go about my daily routine with the severe pain and side affects much better. The depression that also comes with this op is also receding. It takes a lot of time and patience to get back to a normal life again. Keep reading this forum you will find it very very helpful. Best o luck to hubby from tucks.
    • Posted

omg thank you so much Tucks, I am haveing a hard time with him being so upset with me most of the time. If I try to help him with P.T. he gets mad at me for that if i drive someplace with him in the car he get mad, (((all in all))) he is about to drive me NUTS.
  • Posted

HI THERE !...ANITA HERE----12 WEEKS POST TKR ....YES...IT IS SO NORMAL AND COMMON...I WAS TOLD THIS COULD LAST UP TO 12 TO 18 MONTHS...I STILL ICE ON A TOUGH DAY....I SOMETIMES FEEL LIKE I'M WALKIING AROUND WITH A WATER BALLOON ON MY KNEE....HELPS TO ELEVATE AND ICE...AT NIGHT ,I RUN A FAN AT MY BEDSIDE...KEEP MY KNEE OUT AND UNCOVERED TO COOL IT....BE PATIENT...PROGRESS IS SLOW  AND BEST WISHES FOR A COMPLETE HEALING
    • Posted

thank you Anita, you guys have been a big help too me.. now i know that this is normal and i can stop being so upset over it.

• Posted

Hi Dianna....I'm 16 weeks post op and my knee was always hot to touch. This will most likely stop over time. Mine feels warm only sometimes now, but certainly not that burning feeling. Another side effect from TKR gone......woohoo!!!

• Posted

Hi Dianna, I asked my physio why my knee gets so hot. He said it is the blood flow.

Mine is still hot 6 weeks post op today... It's a long road

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.