knee gives way with sudden pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm interested to know how others are dealing with this sudden oddity. 5 weeks post op from an arthroscopy to repair torn miniscus, cartilage, remove object and clean up knee cap the knee gives way with a sudden, sharp pain that nearly takes me down. It just started a few days ago. I want to believe it is still part of the healing process but fear the worst. I've read other posts with similar.....does it ever get better? I should mention that I'm an active 81 with one total knee replacement on the other leg. . 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Funny you should ask Luanne. My knee is swollen and feels like the meniscus is torn again. I'm limping today. I had it wrapped in an Ace bandage all weekend. If I do anything like twisting accidentally like in snow or ice, it gets really bad. I'm in so much pain, I haven't slept for 4 nights. I know the muscles are week, but I also know if I exercise I will be on crutches. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

• Posted

Darn!....Sorry that you are having such a hard time of it! I , too, have to be really careful not to make a twisting motion. I did that this morning and let out a  yelp but otherwise am on my feet a lot and up and down stairs. but I really think I've made improvement. Has your doctor offered cortisone shots to quiet things down? That did help me. I still try to ice twice a day for about 20 min. at a time. We have ice and snow on the ground, too, and I never go outside without my trusty Leki treking pole. Really afraid of slipping. I feel really bad for you. Please keep me up to speed.........if I'm not doing near 100% in the next 4 weeks I'll try the gel shots. I'm at 10 wks. today.

• Posted

I haven't been icing everyday. It's been so cold outside, the thought of icing makes me cringe! I've been using the lidocaine patches. It helps some. It's pretty swollen still, so I probably should ice. I have full range of motion when it's not swollen, but couldn't bend it today or over the weekend. I accidentally knelt down on it and just about screamed it hurt so much. I'm 10 weeks same as you. We're a pair, aren't we? Oh, I had the shooting pain that takes your breath away too the other day. On a positive note, I can ride my bike and do most of my yoga workout. Progress definitely, but this latest setback is making me think I tore it for a third time. Keep me posted. Hugs sister!

• Posted

Take heart, Renee....I thought I tore it again, too, because the sudden OMG  pain was back but the cortisone shot took care of that. I tried kneeling on mine when I made the bed but not a good idea at this point. Doctor said to keep moving it so I don't lose range of motion but to use reason.....if it hurts, dial it back a bit. Good luck! I'm pulling for you......

• Posted

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement, Louanne. So glad we can be buddies during this hellish experience. Guess I need to see the doc again. Thing is, I've been down this road already last year. Turns out the meniscus was torn again. But hopefully a shot will help. Thanks and hugs! Let's have a happy no pain day today!!

• Posted

So everyday I wake up hoping I won't be in pain. Well here it comes! It feels like a rubber band is around my knee. I'm getting so discouraged. I just want to feel normal again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.