Knee Hurts Even When Not Walking

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an MRI 3 years ago that showed a horizontal cleavage tear of meniscus, medial side of knee. I went to physical therpay because 2 surgeons said it didn't warrant surgery. It helped but now I kneeled down 2 weeks ago and it hurts again. I went to the doctor who wants me to try PT first. If it doesn't work, he will send me for a new MRI but from the tests he did, he believes it is the same diagnosus as what the MRI said back then.

I have been doing the exercises I dad back then and icing. I can't walk without a lot of pain and now it hurts even when I am just sitting around. I keep waking up trying to find a comfortable position. Takling advil, using ice. Has anyone had pain even when not moving? Do you think there's a possibility that I can get better with PT like last time? I am a 69 year old female. I start PT next week.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you can, get an entirely new pair of eyes to look at you. No need getting the same guy involved as he probably won't admit he was wrong. Getting a second opinion means a second Dr.

• Posted

It is a new doctor. I went to two orthopedic surgeons 3 years ago and both said no surgery and sent me to PT which worked. This new one is not a surgeo, but a physical medicine doctor (physiatrist). He wants to give the PT a chance. I am just wondering if anyone with my findings (horizontal cleavage tear) has had pain even when NOT walking. 
  • Posted

I had four knee scopes (two each side) years ago when MRI's were inconclusive and the pain shots and PT did not work.  Turned out to be a torn meniscus (one each side) and a rippped up femoral condyle (one each side).  All this occurred over the course of a few years.  Hockey can really tear up the knees.

The point of this is that all these tests can show zero and there could still be something really wrong in the knee...four times in my case.  The only way to really know is for an ortho do go in (arthroscopy) and see for him/herself.  Hate to say it but that's the way it works sometimes.

And yes...get another opinion...check out the knee practices who work on your local pro and college sports teams.  They're the real experts in this...

• Posted

I have some good names (live in a major city) so I know who I will go to if I need the surgery. I am trying to avoid it if I can. The PT worked last time and I had no pain for 3 years. I did the same dumb thing that caused the pain 3 years ago, kneeling to clean the house. That is always what does this and I should have known better.
  • Posted

SUE I would try all options before surgery. My knee was bad six years ago, so bad that I was not sleering at all. Got a cores one shot and they dressings over a cup of fluid then to pt. Two years later had the set of hydraulic shots. I just had a TKR but the pt and shots helped me for six years. It could be that you don't end up with surgery at all, which would be a blessing. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Sorry spell check messed with my response hope you understand what I am saying
    • Posted

cc, thank you for the nice reply. Yes, the not sleeping part is terrible, I have to keep trying to find a position that doesn't hurt. Isn't spell check terrible? Sometimes I sound like such a dope because it mangles my words, lol. I was able to understand your post fine. I was thinking about the shots but afraid they're going to hurt so much from what I've heard. Did you have synvisc?

• Posted

I am 56 and have been in pain with my right knee for about the last 15 years. My surgeon couldn't understand why it was so painful. The mri showed a torn meniscus and lots of debris. I had an orthoscopy and he trimmed the meniscus and found a very large piece of debris. Unfortunately I am still in as much pain as before the operation but he says there's nothing more that he can do. I've had physio but that hasn't helped at all. I hope you have better luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.