Knee Infections post TKR and Antibiotics

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a question about knee infections post TKR: 1. what antibiotic do they usually give you and does it have to always be by IV (and in the hospital)? 2. Can they give it to you orally? 3. How long? I have read 6 weeks? I will find out Tuesday if I have a knee infection in my TKR done 10/19/2016.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you think you have an infection you better run not walk and don’t wait till tues my son had an infection so bad they hospitalized him then he had a picc line right to the heart it’s serious please don’t wait 
  • Posted

The antibiotic will depend on the type of infection.....they will test.  R u in US or UK??? I am in US and have known several people with staph infection after TKR.  The docs tested for type of infection....then surgery to remove prosthesis, with staph, and intervenious antibiotics for 6 we Skype, however it was done at home....a nurse came 2x per week to draw blood and check for infection level.  6 weeks antibiotics, then 2 week wait.....replace prosthetics and onward and upward from there.

really it depends on type of infection.

good luck,

Pam

• Posted

Pam is correct. Ill add tgst tge antibiotics administered via a pucc line are then usually followed by a period of oral antibiotics.

I just found out I have an infection and am scheduled for the first part of my two stage revision on 7\6 where a spacer loaded with antibiotics will be inserted after my implant is removed.

Hopefully you will find put that you don't have an infection.

• Posted

Oops "I'll just add" spell check has mind of its own tonight :-)

• Posted

Antibiotic is based on the individual. I couldn't take the drug of choice so had the next in line. The 1st time I was treated, they opened the original incision, replace the plastic disc that sets between the upper and lower pieces of the prosthesis. Then closed it up and gave me the infusion twice daily through a PICC line for 8 weeks. Then I went on capsules 3 5x's a day for the rest of my life. In theory. 9 months later I passed out from a UTI and landed on both knees and my foreheAd, splitti g my head open on a hardwood floor. 3 months later I had to habe fluid removed from my knee and sure as hell the staph was back with vengeance. This time the entire appliance was yanked and the cavity was again flushed and this time an antibiotic cement and plastic spacer was inserted, a soft cast immobilizer was placed on the leg and the PICC line was reinserted. Another twice a day, 8 week antibiotic protocol was established and for a total of 4 months I bounced around on a walker, no bend and no more than a 25 degree bend. Then the new prosthesis was inserted and therapy started. The big difference this time, no capsules. This paints a worst case scenario and to answer your 1st question, the antibiotic that's used is based on the type of infection. There isn't a one size fits all. My infection was epitaph or an infection that came from the skin. Our nephew is an infectious disease Dr on the west coast. He will tell you everyone has enough staph on the skin to kill you but most people have built in protection and the body rejects the infection. Obviously, I'm less than perfect, which has been a know fact most of my life. No need trying to figure all this out until you see the Dr. It may be nothing or something so simple a 10 day 1000mg. Antibiotic will hold you in place. Good luck and pleas let us know. We're family on this site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.