Knee injection ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi I was due to have a knee replacement next week but it has been cancelled due to high BMI and fast heart rate , whilst I address these issues can anyone recommend a knee injection that has worked for them 

The only injection I’ve tried in the past was ostinil which game so,e short term relief but I’m wondering if there are other injections which have worked for people on here ?

thanks ,  mark 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello again,

so, all that worrying for nothing.  The surgeon chose for you huh?😀.  I don’t have any advice on injections because I didn’t have any, at least, for my knees.  I did have a few pethidine injections when I had gall stones .  They were brilliant but I guess it’s different for bone pain.  I hope someone can advise you on here.  Good luck with your diet too.

Sue 

• Posted

I would be careful with the injections.  I was the 1% that got an infection- strep from a cortisone shot.  Took the shot every 6 months for 6 years/ great!  But when infected- life changing and then you have to wait a year before surgery.
  • Posted

I had an Hyaluronic acid injection, I don't remember the brand as there are several.  The Cleveland Clinic has a good run down of what is out there. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/4-injections-that-can-banish-joint-pain-for-months/

In August of 2015 I had a heart attack which meant that I had to wait at least another year before I could have my knee replacement.   The HA injection that I had lasted about 4 to 5 months for me.  Since the insurance would only pay for me to have them every 6 months I was normally in pain for a month or so but I thought it was great because it did give me some relief and allowed me to exercise.    Some folks I know that have had the injections said it lasted almost a year for them.  

• Posted

Sounds fair;y positive - I’m in the uk so not sure what’s available via the nhs 
  • Posted

Different types:

- Cortisone: Straight up steroids.  Usually relief in 3-4 days; can last up to a year but usually way shorter than that.  If you're a diabetic, your blood sugar will shoot to 500.  Gotta be careful if that's your case

- Hyaluronic Acid (HA): Replaces the synovial fluid lost in joints or affected by arthritis.  Lots of brand names for this treatment.  I have no experience with it so you'd have to do the research.

- Elastoviscous High Molecular Weight Fluid (variation of HA): This is like "lubing up" your knee.  I used this type as the brand name Synvisc.  I got 3 shot treatments (days 1, 8 and 15).  One round lasted me almost a year with zero pain.  Did this for 5-6 years with great success.  There is now a Synvisc One product.  One shot lasts up to six months.

- Voltaren Gel: Topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.  RX in the US.  LOVE THIS STUFF!!!  Great at bedtime.

- Moving To A Warmer Climate: After years of Synvisc, I moved from New Jersey to Texas and needed NOTHING for five years because of the change in climate.  Put off my TKR for all that time.

So, in my case, the sequence from cortisone to Synvisc to Texas put off my TKR for almost 15 years.  But in the end, ya gonna get on that train to TKRville and take it to the end of the line...last stop..  That's it for me...

• Posted

Many thanks ,  I have to see the surgeon next weds to discuss injection options - the ostinil was a HA injection and worked to a degree ,  never tried cortisone so may be worth a go - I’ve given myself 6 months to lose 3 stone and hope to sort the tachycardia out in that time - I’m not diabetic so cortisone should be an option .

synvisc also sounds a decent option so I will mention both to him next week .

my original surgeon will be returning  later in the year so hopefully if I do the work we can get the tkr done in October .

• Posted

Don't know if you use a stick, but that can make a difference....not great for the ego, but oh well.

Sorry to hear about the lack of op, however I guess unavoidable.

Best wishes for the weight loss, you will do it I am sure, hard work but some lifestyle changes are good post op too!

• Posted

Hi I don’t use a stick - walking is not too bad but pain kicks in if standing or walking 15 mins or more .

thanks to everyone whos replied - some very interesting suggestions 👍 

• Posted

I hated to bring up the dreaded infection.  Honestly I would have said someone with my story must secretly be a nut.  Now I tell people just for info- never knew the same injection could infect you.  I got a shot 10/19/16 at a fancy Arthritis Clinic - sonogram and all/ high tech.  It was not their fault- just life.  However- 1 month in hospital with septic arthritis- strep/ developed 48 hours after routine injection.  3 surgeries to debreed - 8 weeks IV antibiotics.  Wheelchairs/ walkers/ canes/ blood clot/ and 4 months PT then total knee on 11/29/17.  About 6 doc in team to save my life - daily

Walked/ exercise/ diet/ water/ pretty healthy before the shot.

Again, not a freak about the injections-just never knew one would totally change my fate.  A cane/ swimming/ topical creams/ Advil- whatever.  Shots often don’t help that much.  I still probably would have taken the shot but was totally unaware of the infection possibility.  Still can’t believe it happened to me.  Knee replacement was NOTHING compared to shot gone wrong.  You will make it ❤️

• Posted

It is wonderful to improve.  TKR is a snap compared to a septic infection.  Feeling blessed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.