Knee Injury 8 weeks later

Posted , 5 users are following.

Injured my knee skiing. Visited knee specialist after 5 weeks who took X Ray and manipulated it and thought it was ok. Did not see anything catostrophic or thought I needed an MRI. I've skied and biked since then and it still bothers me on medial side. Clicking when I walk, minor pain and swelling.

Should I stay off it completely? Revisit the doc? It does not seem to be healing

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    I'm guessing you're fairly young and obviously very active.  If it were me I'd revisit the knee specialist.  You don't want to be ignoring something that could get increasingly worse if it's neglected, and leave you with lifelong problems.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Damaged my knee skiing some 20 plus years ago plus numerous tissue damage whilst playing rugby at a good level, had to have the cartlidge trimmed.  All was OK until Sept last year had to have a TKR this Jan at 63 years young.

    Get it looked at by a good othorpedic surgeon 


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Totally agree.  Nothing big until you see the orthopedic SURGEON.  

    I had four knee scopes (two each side) years and years ago before my TKR in 2016.  MRIs can be "inconclusive" and they have to go in to see what's wrong.  Happened on ALL of my MRIs. Two menisci and two femoral condyles. 

    What got me through all those intervening years was SynVisc to "lube up" your knee.  Two versions: Three shots in 14 days lasts up to a year or one shot that lasts up to six months.  For some people it doesn't work; for me it was a lifesaver.  Cortisone injections are temporary, last only a short time and cannot be continuously repeated.

    I would recommend a SPORTS ortho group, one that works with your local college and professional sports teams.  They are the real experts at this.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Stays are only for bone damage. Any soft tissue damage needs an MRI for diagnosis. Yes! I'd find an orthopedic Dr or sports med Dr who w/o order the proper exam.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I totally agree, get a referral to Orthopaedics & Trauma ASAP, x rays do not show up soft tissue damage & in my experience even MRI doesn't always show very much up!

    If you are experiencing problems, don't leave it! Most of us here are testament to that!

    Even a small meniscal tear can throw all sorts of nasty in your face 20 years down the line!

    Keep us informed



    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up