Knee injury after fall, seeking next steps

Posted , 2 users are following.

Fell off the ladder 10 days ago, not that high maybe 4-5 feet, but fell uncomortably.

Age mid 40's, overall in good medical health, but slightly overweight.

No knee injury history.

Landed on feet, the knee felt "overextended", felt sharp pain.

Could move around same day, was in mild pain overnight. Could barely walk next day.

Day after was OK limping. Pain mostly went away since.

Day 3 or so discovered can't bend beyond 90 percent or so (sharp pain).. Pain still exists

Was minimizing load on it, but still doing my average moving around daily (6k steps per phone).

Given I expected to be fully healed from "mild" injury and clearly not, today I paid attention to it, and discovered my let doesn't full extend. Maybe 175 degrees instead of 180.

Muscle slightly swollen on top of knee.

I have HSA, and seeking advice on what I should read up to, b/c not all doctors as as competent as title suggests, and I'd like to minimize the trips.

Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I learned what ligaments and tendons are this morning... In either case, I likely have stretched one or the the other via "hyperextension injury".. Most likely tendon, as I feel muscle pain if I try to bend the leg. The injuries are typically graded 1,2,3. Three (3) -- complete tears likely require surgery, but they'd be obvious as I'd be unable to walk. Should self-heal in 2-4 weeks.. so I am optimistic I'll be able to ski this year, just maybe still not around NYE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.