Knee injury. What does the knee clinic do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to minor injuries yesterday with a knee injury after a fall. They x rayed my knee to rule out a break.

They have booked an appointment for the consultant led knee clinic at hospital next week and given me crutches to use. Has anyone else been? Just wanted to know what to expect

I fell to the side twisting my knee its very sore to the lower left side of the kneecap, hurts more to bend and I'm shaking with the pain. I can walk (hobble) on it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When I went to knee Clinic at the hospital , they taught me exercises to help heal the knee and gain back flexibility and muscle and gaged my progress. They were also helpful with information and suggestions, I Did this with a number of other patients going through similar issues in different stages of recovery, so found it very helpful and encouraging, would advise you to take advantage if the clinic.

• Posted

First step is to get the inflammation down. That's a max of 10 days on an NSAID (ibuprofen) plus you need to stay off the knee plus elevate and ice it. That will get you past the initial "trauma" phase. If the x-ray showed no structural damage, that's good.

Once you are past those 10 days, the question will be: "Does it still hurt?" There's no way of knowing at this point so put it out of your mind as there are too many possibilities to consider. If it was a bad sprain, it could take weeks to get back to normal. Just avoid any activities that can re-injure it for a while. Rest, ice, elevation.

If it still bothers you down the road, a trip to an orthopedic surgeon will be in order. During the exam, the doc will twist and turn your knee in multiple directions. Each movement tests a different part of the knee and its supporting tendons and muscles. If there is something wrong, the doc can zero in on exactly what component of the knee is causing the problem. Steroid shot and a brace can help heal the ongoing problem if there is one. It's waaaaay to early to think of anything beyond that.

Right now, heal........

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you I was sick with the pain tonight and shaking all over its horrible. its worse almost. my son threw a pillow and it caught my foot and the pain shot right up my leg into my knee. the pain was horrendous. Its very swollen now. I have it elevated, pain meds taken and ice. Rhe idea of having it twisted is not good. they said about a karge gao when i had it x rayed. the consultant will hopefully shed more light Mknday or maybe it will feel better by then 😃

• Posted

Large gap. Sorry my keyboard is being silly!

• Posted

If your knee is still as painful to the point of you being sick, insist on another review of your xray! I went to A & E with a cracked femur only to be told by two doctors that there was no fracture and I was sent home with crutches. Ten days and a fall at home later, the hospital phoned me to say I had broken my femur and was to get back to hospital asap. Listen to your body and if you think your injury is more serious than they say, ask for another opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.