Knee issues

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 2mos post op and I am having knee pain when I lie down. This has just started and I asked my Therapist and he told me it's normal. I didn't have it up until lately. I don't feel this discomfort while standing. Elevation and ice isn't working and my hydrocodone offers a little relief. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't get no sleep.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 14 months out from my tkr and still have alot of pain especially when trying to sleep. Have you tried laying on your good side and putting a pillow between your knees? Helps me sometimes.
  • Posted

Hi Phillip.  I'm 6 months along, but I remember I could never get comfortable in bed when I was 2 months.  For me, honestly, I didn't start sleeping well until 4 months.  I slept in a recliner a good bit and sometimes just change beds several times a night.  Time heals.....cliche but true.  Good luck!  Cathy in Alabama

• Posted

Phillip,

I am also 2 months out. Sleeping has been my biggest complaint since day one!! I finally bought a foam contoured pillow. I lay on my good side and lay my affected leg into the center of the pillow starting just below the knee. Hope that helps

Debra

• Posted

have your doc write you a prescription for voltaren gel to use at night.  Also there are aspirin and lidocain patches that would help.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. I'm using the gel and it's not working. What kind of asprin?

• Posted

The patches I use have both aspirin and lidocane, are called salon patches.  Even those with just aspirin and menthol are good.  But you should be on an anti-inflammatory long acting that you take once a day.
    • Posted

I went to doctor yesterday and she gave me meloxicam and hydrocodone.
    • Posted

Here's another suggestion.  Ancient Jewish wisdom knows that 100% linen  has healing qualities because of it's type of vibration, something unique to linen.  I've got some and wrap my knee it in at night.  I mean to just sew some pj's to wear and just haven't got to that point yet.

• Posted

Yes!!!!  That's right from the old Jewish grandmothers I used to know in Brooklyn!!!

• Posted

TKR recovery is NOT a linear process.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus.  The problem is that no one, least of all the docs, prepare you for any of this...especially the pain.  Some of this might help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Drug:  Hydrocodone and Oxycodone offer the exact same relief (US National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health).  Difference...Hydro has a cough suppressant effect and can cause constipation (same source).  That said, your body might react better to Oxy than Hydro.  Talk to your doc.  Also, both come mixed with acetaminophen..for example, 5/325 = 5mg hydro or oxy plus 325mg aceto.  You can get combinations like 10/500.  Ask your doc.

Sleep: Against PT recommendations, I always elevated my leg on one pillow at night with the ice machine circulating all the time.  That helped.  I also take some Melatonin (others like Diphenhydramine...the cheaper, generic Benadryl) an hour before bedtime.  A half hour before you turn the light out, ditch the TV, computer, phone, tablet, etc.  Read a book.  Put some lavender oil in a diffuser.  Make the room pitch black.  Do everything you can to induce a restful sleep.

However...  This can be difficult at two months p/o.  Most people are out of the worst pain within 90 days so you do have a way to go on this.  Better sleep will come in time.  Everything you say is very normal...it just takes time and that's the other thing no one prepares you for...the time it takes to recover from a TKR.  

But...  Better days are ahead.  It will likely be a struggle to get to 0 / +120 with PT but worth it.  Get off the opioids and walking aids as soon as you can.  Then rebuild your quads, glutes and core.  At 6 months, I have virtually zero pain, 0 / +131 flexion, take no meds, use no aids and ready to find a new job.  Yeah, there's still some stiffness which could take 12-18 months to get rid of plus that damn clicking sound.  Don't think that will ever go away.  Small price to pay for walking well again.

Hang in there.  Two months is still early in the process.

• Posted

If none of this works, you can put in a call to Warner Brothers.  I'm sure Wiley Coyote would love to visit you along with the huge Acme rubber mallet he tries to use on the Roadrunner.  That or the Acme 16-ton weight dropped on you from the ceiling.  Your choice...

• Posted

Benedril, or diphedrahydramine causes brain changes like unto demensia.  I'd avoid it if at all possible.  Google it with the word demensia.  Paxil does it too.  Also Dramamine.  

• Posted

Two months still early in your recovery, the physical therapy will overcome the pain if you stay with it. Six months knees felt better for me. Pillows between or under knees helps.

Sleep problems can go on for months, I found I could sometimes sleep better in a

recliner. Melatonin can help

• Posted

PT is your best friend in recovery. Keep that resolve to stay with it no matter what. I had both knees done 2 years ago and I was in PT for a year. Knees were bad before surgery, hadn't bent at all for a long time. The only reason I stopped PT was that my right hip started bothering me. Got that one replaced 8 weeks ago, on my way back. Knees got stiff and less flexible without being able to exercise but feeling better again. Working out is part of your new lifestyle to maintain the health of your new knee or hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.