Knee kept locking up

Posted , 4 users are following.

1. week 5 after my tkr and my knee still wont loosen up . My flexion is around 100 now so i am not worried that my knee wont be able to bend but minutes after after my physio walking a little my knee locks up. Does anyone had that issue. Have to be back at work in 2 weeks Should I be concerned.?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

far to early to be worrying about anything. got my right knee dine 5 months ago and it took me the best part of 2 months to be able to get enough movement. have you spoken to your physio about it. when you say licked up do you mean straight or in a bend

• Posted

I meant straight I would be walking and suddenly I found my knee stop bending ,it just locked maybe I will get pass that , everyone says it kind of early to be worry about it.. I need to be patient... Apart from that I am doing very well , very minimal pain and starting to sleep much better. Thank you JO

• Posted

Back to work 7 weeks post-TKR is probably not even possible. Even those that went back at 3 months have reported lots of problems with pain, swelling and sleeplessness. The minimum without complications and pain seems to be around four months. Yes, there are exceptions and everyone is different. However, I've been on here 3 1/2 years and have read over 20,000 discussions. Your chance of pulling this off is extremely unlikely. Those who have done it very quickly reported that they had very little scar tissue and regained their full ROM in less than four weeks...very, very rare. I went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123 in 12 weeks with a lot of PT and exercising. It takes time, work and patience. You may have underestimated the impact of a TKR on your life and health. PS: We ALL did!!!!! A full recovery including rebuild your quads, glutes, core and more usually takes a full year...with people feeling close to normal in around 9 months. Here's some ROM help...

ROM at Home

Good luck...

• Posted

Thanks Chico,

you are right my surgeon told me that I didnt need more than six weeks I told him I got eight weeks from work he said that’s far more than I needed so I take it at six weeks to be OK nevertheless I think I am healing very quickly ,minimal pain but my concerns are that my got so stiff and locked up even after icing - It does ge tback to 90 or 100 but knee not strong Thanks for those exercises that you recommend that I will definitely do. I I think it will help. also I will be going to the physiotherapist tomorrow I will discuss that with him as well . Thanks again for you sound advice

• Posted

Your doc is delusional...and he's not the only one. I've heard this story too many times before. It just leads to unrealistic expectations that can never come true. Then people get depressed, start blaming themselves, wonder why there's still so much pain, sleeplessness and swelling, yadda, yadda, yadda... Six weeks is pure bullpucky! At 4-6 weeks, I was still on some opioids and drooling on my pajamas with very little sleep. It's a very common tale.

I wish you good luck with this but, again, I've read too many users' personal stories about trying to go back to work before the knee is healed and you are waaaaay stronger. Walking, balance, and climbing stairs are tough enough while rehabbing the knee to then pile on work. Even those with desk jobs found it difficult. Nurses running the floors on 12 hour shifts found it impossible...same with construction workers and delivery persons. Also highly impacted are people working in jobs that required standing and walking almost the entire 8 hours. Just not possible if the knee isn't healed. Consider this carefully. Listen to your knee; it will tell you when you're ready to go back to work.

• Posted

For sure. I agree , one size doesn't fit all. every one heals differently. I am on no hurry , waiting patiently.

Thanks.

• Posted

what type of work do you do?

• Posted

Child care, caring for 2 boys 4 and 2 yrs old - big challenge., but I heal really fast very minimum pain just concerned with the tightened up . I am sure time will take care of it on its own time. I need to be more patient. So far I dont think I had a bad experience based on what I have heard from others. Thanks Kathy

• Posted

I heal amazing fast too. Four knee scopes, two shoulder ops, hip replacement, two spine fusions and more. Always nailed the rehab in record time...thought the same would be true for the knee. I was dead wrong and paid the price. The knee is a whole different animal than other ops and recoveries you had. I truly hope you are right and be one of the rare exceptions...just don't expect it.

• Posted

Yes , I agree the knee is a total different ball game.. I am just taking one day at a time and see how I feel. My knee will tell me when its time. Thanks Chico

• Posted

triphene1974, Unless you are exceptional the time scale of 6 weeks which has been quoted by your doc does not seem realistic particularly since you say that your knee locks up - this indicates that the knee is not at present 100%. Suggest you talk again to your surgeon (if possible ) to discuss your knee symptoms, however may i wish you the best of luck although i agree with CHICO the timescale set by the surgeon does not seem realistic, however hopefully you can prove me wrong!!!!!!

• Posted

You are right, the best way to do it is to let my knee tell me when it is ready.. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.