knee locked/buckled when standing?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My knee has progressively been getting worse. PT did not help, steroid injection did nothing. Today I was just standing. I shifted my weight slightly and it felt like my knee locked or was going to buckle. Is this normal? Dr mentioned scoping the knee. I see him on Friday. Any advice?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had this problem with my knee had to operations and two injections and after putting up with the very same pain as you have they finally gave me a knee replacement.

It sounds as if you are heading the same way

• Posted

May I ask what’s actually going on with your knee that’s making it worse? I had ruptured both patellar tendons in both knees and arthritis had made them worse to the point that I had to get a knee replacement.
  • Posted

Yes, I agree, it sounds like you will be a candidate for a tkr.  For 7 years my knee would pop or buckle and give way with no warning!  I decided on surgery after I fell twice in December.  The first time I chipped my 2 front teeth and then a week before Christmas I fell again and had a concussion.  I lived with pain and unable to walk for a little over seven years and I finally had enough!  I had my tkr in July and it went wonderfully.  I am one of the lucky ones who is healing ahead of schedule.  At 2 weeks I was walking unassisted and driving at 3 weeks and returned to work as well.  I still have swelling of the knee and ankle and my knee is still numb but geez, who cares?  I am still healing and will be for about another 10 months.  You just can't sit around and wallow in self pity because if you do, you are just hurting yourself.  I know a person who had this surgery 8 months ago and is still using a walker.  He is so dependent on it that he does not want to walk without it.  A lot depends on your surgeon as well......mine was wonderful and I had to wait for the appt. because he is so booked up.  But if you are ready, determined and have a lot of patience you will be fine.  Always remember that everyone heals at their own pace.  Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Victoria!

You probably have had recent x-rays. If not, your doctor will probably order them. X-rays show a lot! Your doctor may also want to have you get additional tests to help determine what is going on with your knee.

Both of my knees were quite unstable prior to my knee replacements done in 2015. The evening of my first surgery (left knee) when I first was helped up to stand then take a few steps was so surprising to me because my new knee felt SO STABLE and STRONG compared to what my knee had felt like prior to surgery. Also, my right knee that hadn't been operated on yet was incredibly UNSTABLE in comparison to my surgical knee. This REALLY shocked me and quickly taught me how bad my knees had gotten over just four years.

Three and a half months after my first surgery I had my right knee replaced.

Best things I have EVER done for my health!

Sure, there is recovery involved. There often is swelling. My left knee was a CHAMP at swelling! Pain for me was minimal following surgery compared with that which I had endured for years PRIOR to surgery.

I hope you get your answers on Friday which will lead you to getting your life back again!??

• Posted

The "doc" needs to be an orthopedic surgeon (sounds like he/she is if they mentioned a "scoping"wink.  They usually do this when the x-ray and MRI are inconclusive.  Happened to me four (4) times...four scopes.  If the imaging didn't settle the issue, then what they'll find is anyone's guess.  They might have an idea from the location of your pain but the diagnosis and fix will have to wait until they go in.  Again...happened to me four times...many, many moons ago.  After they removed lots of cartilage, I used SynVisc for years and then a move to the warmth of Texas.  From first scoping to TKR #1 took about 15 years so I did get a lot of mileage out of my original equipment even after 45 years of hockey.  Last TKR due in about a year...I'm soooooo looking forward to reliving the brutality of it all...........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.