Knee locked, doubt it's meniscus tear.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Kind of a long story but I'm 44 years old and very active. I train jiu jitsu, practice yoga, lift weights and occasionally run a 5k.  I tore my meniscus back in 2016 and needed surgery.  I'd had a bad hip for years and in 2017 it came to a head.  I went to sit down cross legged and hip got torqued at the same time my knee popped and locked in place.  Ended up needing a hip replacement but the MRI showed that there was no damage to the knee even though it had locked.  The doctor told me I just need to strengthen the knee and that there was no meniscus or ligament damage. I get my hip replaced in 2018. Recovery has gone well.  I started doing yoga about 7 months post op.  My knee and hip were feeling good. I started training jiu jitsu again about 9 months post op.  I've been training jiu jitsu, walking daily, practicing yoga and lifting weights fine for the last year.  Two nights ago while training jiu jitsu, I went down on my side because of take down and when I went to get up I realized my knee had locked.  I straightened it out unlocking it.  I started to keep going but the knee felt a bit unstable so I stopped.   I've no real pain other than when I unlocked it.  So no swelling, no pain.  Just feels a little unstable if I sit in a cross legged position and pull my toes toward my body it feels like the knee is going to lock again.  I can knee, squat, walk and jog and no other problems.  Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?  My plan at the moment is to not train jiu jitsu for  few weeks and just do exercises that I fell strong with.  Any advice or similar experience would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

See a sports orthopedic surgeon...NOW!!! After a quick x-ray to make sure there's no structural damage, the exam comes next. Every push, pull, twist and turn eliminates certain ligament/tendon issues and focuses in on the exact problem. In the past, I ripped up two menisci and two femoral condyle cartilages (a pair on each knee). A quick arthroscopy fixed all four but left me bone on bone. Some cortisone then years of SynVisc until I needed a left TKR at age 68. Step 1: Gotta see the diagnosis form the ortho. There are levels of care you can run with before TKRVille. Let's hope it's some thing that ibuprofen, rest, ice and elevation can fix in 10 days.

• Posted

I went through that whole process last time this happened and was told I just needed to strengthen it. that advice worked until this week. since there's no swelling or pain, I really don't think there's new damage.

• Posted

I'd do some research on a locked knee so you can describe your problem to a sports orthopedic surgeon in terms they can understand. It seems that for both a pseudo and actual locked knee, the common issue is the patella. Look into this and make an appointment ASAP.

• Posted

I've discussed it with my surgeon the last time it happened. The MRI showed no damage.

From the research I've done, it seems like its a tibiofibular instability. It's an issue of the tibia jetting out from the joint causing a lock. The surgery for it has a very low success rate. The most common and best results come from strengthening the muscles around the knee.

Since I'm in no pain and there's no swelling, I'm going to give it a couple weeks and avoid the position that causes the locking.

• Posted

My son has suffered from Osgood Schlatter's disease since his teenage years. Just like you, there's no reliable surgical fix. If a brace will help, call the people at DonJoy...#1 brace manufacturer. They have very specific braces for very specific conditions. They might have one you you.

• Posted

I'll look into a Donjoy brace. I had Osgood Schlatters as a teen as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.