knee locked-Urgent

Posted , 4 users are following.

my knee locked up while I was asleep. Scared the heck out of me, my husband helped me relax it back to straight. Anyone please tell me what happened. 

I have been doing excercises every day and yesterday I wonder if I over did it? 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

LTKR May 2017 with post op complications leading to scar tissue behind knee and around incision. I did an aggressive program of Epsom salt soaks, massage therapy, physical therapy used Gua Sha tool to break up scar tissue, but my knee would lock up in a flexed position when changing position from sitting to standing. At my 9 month appointment with my surgeon, he said it might be a bit of scar tissue catching . However, I just recently started going to a chiropractor who found my spine and hips are out of alignment from sitting in a wheelchair for 10 months and walking with an uneven gait due to the other knee being weak (to be replaced in August) I have a lot of crunching when I first start moving, then it subsides. I am hoping as I become more active the remaining scar tissue will go. Please post what you discover, I will do the same.

PS- magnesium deficiency affects muscle function. I take magnesium supplements and it helps. 

• Posted

How do you know if you have scar tissue behind knee. Had tkr 27 November 2017 and the back of my knee around the tendons gets very tight and sore. Doing stretches but don't seem to be helping. My knee otherwise is getting there slowly.

• Posted

this happened 4 am and at 7am I stood up, knee is extremely sore. But I did my warm up excercises and I can bend my knee more! but is extremely sore. I can still walk. I called my PT and she said I need to sleep with a pillow under my leg, and to call again if it happens again. This really didn’t answer my question.  
    • Posted

It could be felt as hard ridges or knots. Surgeon was skeptical anything but surgery would break it up, but my regimen did. It was three times weekly PT twice weekly massage and I worked on the scar tissue around the healed incision for 12 weeks. Once it broke up behind the knee I was able to start working on extension from -45 to 0 now. I have a small knot of scar tissue where the absorbable stitches came through the incision line but it does not interfere with flexion. It takes time for the knee to heal, you are still early in healing so keep up with your stretching and heel slides. Epsom salt soaks, leg warmers, and on cold winter days-sitting in front of a portable heater help to keep muscles loose and flexible. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi is this something new? Did you have surgery?
    • Posted

I had surgery 9 weeks ago, I started my PT late bc there is no therapist where I live. I had to travel out of town to get PT. To wake up with your knee locked and in pain, yes this is new! 
    • Posted

my knee locked again, i can’t seem to get answers from anyone, I tried my PT, the clinic, they said ice it and take my pain meds, wow really!   1st time it locked, took my husband 30 min to help me relax my knee to straighten out. 2nd time 10 min to relax it. This happens when I fall asleep.  It is extremely painful to go through this. 

this is like getting a MUA without Anesthesia

Has his happened to anyone out there?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.