Knee locks in bent position (feels like my tendon/ligament gets trapped)

Posted , 5 users are following.

My right knee becomes “locked” In a bent position there is a searing pain on the under/outside of the knee and movement is painful/physically difficult.

If I push through the pain it feels like the ligament on the under/outside of the knee pops or twangs with a jolt of pain and strange feeling. The pain then pretty much fully disappears after a few mins to an hour depending on how long it remained “locked”

Is my tendon/ligament getting stuck in my knee joint ? I have looked at knee locking causes online and none seem to match what im getting.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

do plenty of knee/leg straightening stretchers that will release anything that feels trapped!

• Posted

how far out of TKR are you?

I had something similar happen 3 years after my first TKR. It happened for four days then stopped. Doc figured it must be floating stuff getting caught, like glue. He couldnt find it on an xray though.

This was over Christmas and so far hasnt happened again.

• Posted

Had something similar once and it was a ripped meniscus...although it could literally be anything in the knee. See a sports orthopedic surgeon NOW!!! You don't want to force the knee and do more possible damage. Ice, elevate and see the doc. A quick x-ray will rule out any major structural damage but will not show soft tissue injuries. An MRI may be inconclusive. The exam is critical. With every twist, turn, push and pull, the doc can rule out certain problems and pinpoint the cause of your pain. A treatment plan will follow.

Over the years, I've had four (4) knee scopes for various torn thingies, all repaired very quickly. At 68, I had a TKR because there was nothing left to fix. 45 years of hockey does take its toll. DO NOT push the knee before you see the doc!!!

• Posted

mr nhs you can wait up to six weeks before seeing a doc on the nhs

• Posted

thanks for the in puts but i should have given more info

my left knee was tightened i 2008 (by cutting my shin bone and redrilling it down ) as it was prone to dislocations and is much stronger now with only occasional minor dislocations

my right knee has never had anything done to it. this happens when i rotate the whole leg while its slightly bent( so getting up from laying in bed or if i sat crossed legged on the floor) i feel it lock and then usually quickly straighten it to pop the (what i assume to be) tendon back out and then i'm pain free in minutes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.