Knee manipulation with sedation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! I'm at 10 weeks post and saw Dr today, having lots of pain and per the PT my knee rom is stuck at 97 due to pain. Dr is scheduling me for procedure next week, manipulation under sedation. Anyone had this?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes had it done October 30th. Felt great afterwards and got to 105. But lost straighten. Then took to a flight to TX for holidays and lost ROM now can’t bend to 90. Possible of having another MUA in February or March 
  • Posted

Hi Dee I am sure thats the same thing as MUA - manipulation under anesthesia. I havent had it but know others who have . I am sorry you are stuck at 97 sad .  I just got to 104 at 9 weeks and still have a ton of pain and swelling but crying through it as I didnt want to have a MUA. May I ask how old you are as 97 isnt bad at 10 weeks , I am 50 years old and my 2 friends that had the MUA ( one male at 62 - had to do it twice and said it wasn’t worth it and the other is female is 58 and she said she went from 85 ROM to 95 afterwards but it did set her back in therapy like starting over.. ) I just wanted to share even though it isn’t great news,, good luck to you !! 
    • Posted

I am 54 yrs. Feeling like 95 now. Lol. Hope I have better luck. Scary
    • Posted

I know what you mean. I'm 46 years old and had my TKR 4 months ago and I'm in more pain now then before the surgery. Honestly, the manipulation helped but I think I'm dealing with other complications and planning on going for a second opinion. My physical therapist thinks it's a good idea because even she said I shouldn't be as swollen or in the kind of pain I'm in now. Good luck with your manipulation and keep us posted on how you're doing.

• Posted

Been there, done that. It helps but it does set you back a bit as far as physical therapy goes. It is painful but nothing like the pain you feel after surgery. It's more like the pain you feel after spending the day at the gym. It's a very very very sore muscle pain. You will be happy you got it done. Good luck 😁

• Posted

Thanks! Was told intense physical therapy for 5 days after. Scheduled Jan 19, hoping to be able to drive and return to work Jan 30. Do you think that sounds possible?
    • Posted

Yes, I definitely think you'll be able to go back to work by then. I had to go to physical therapy 5 days a week for two weeks and it really helped. You will get frustrated at times and there will be days that you feel like you're going backwards rather then forwards. You will see a world of difference after your manipulation and your recovery should start feeling like your actually recovering, not being stuck at a stand still. It's just very important that when you are resting to make sure you are icing and elevating as much as possible.

• Posted

Hi there - I’m at 11 weeks and stuck at 75 degrees - terrible! I don’t have a lot of pain except when trying to force it during physio. I’ve not made any progress since week four so it’s very discouraging especially since I have done all my exercises at home and physio. I see the surgeon next week and hoping he’s going to do something about this! I’m very frustrated but also worried about being set way back after MUA......I’m hoping yours goes well! Keep in touch and let us know how it goes. 
    • Posted

Hi Amy, sorry to hear you are still having problems with ROM. Good luck seeing surgeon next week. I had a manipulation after a previous operation and it went well. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks Victoria! It’s so very frustrating......and now I don’t even care about my exercises as they get me nowhere anyway! Physio therapist is frustrated as well - can’t understand why no progress at all....so all I can do now is hope that surgeon decides on MUA this coming week as it is 12 weeks and I worry it will be too late after that! 😳 Not that I ever wanted MUA but....not being able to bend knee even to 90 degrees is pretty debilitating....

• Posted

Hi Amy, I understand your frustration. I had taken me so long to get to 90 and still having other problems. I don’t think you have to have MUA within a tight time frame. I had a successful one around 4 months after one operation. 

Someone I am also speaking to had an MUA on Tuesday. She was 14 weeks post op. She had been stuck at 65 degrees. They got 120 in theatre and she’s now at 110 and said she’s so happy. 

Keep us updated with how you get on. 

• Posted

Oh thank you so much Victoria - you have really eased my mind!!

I’ll keep you posted 😊

• Posted

Thank you so much! I will let you know how it goes.
  • Posted

Hi Aunt Dee. Can I ask how long you have been at 97?  I am at 92 at 11 weeks but I have made progress in last three weeks. I was previously stuck in late 60’s.  I saw consultant mid December and was told I had three weeks to get to 90 to avoid MUA. I’m seeing consultant again in three weeks time but I feel that I am making the progress, it’s just not in the time frame they want. My knee is still v v swollen which can’t help. 

I wish you well for MUA. I had one after a previous operation and it worked well. 

• Posted

Hi. Been stuck for a few weeks. Biggest concern is the intense pain so can't move further. The therapist says they can't push me further cause of the pain, still on pain med. Surgeon says the MUA is best successful before the 12th week. Also financially as it's $180 a week out of pocket for PT and the therapist agrees it's wasting my money at this point. In addition I need to get off the pain med so I can drive and get back to work. Had a few setbacks too...had surgery 4.5 weeks after the knee replacement, large toe joint synthetic joint implant as the arthritis in the toe was causing issues learning to walk correctly. Then had a fall Dec16 lost my balance and grabbed the towel bar which broke and I fell trying to go to the bathroom and fell into the bathtub and broke my ribs. Both issues made it difficult to do my exercises. I'm 54 yrs old going on 100. Lol. Glad to hear you had success with manipulation in the past.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.