Knee osteoarthritis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i have found this website to be really helpful so far and the people on here are full of great advice and make you feel your not the only one with knee problems.

Anyhow ive just been diagnosed with moderate/severe osteoarthritis of my knee and i have mild in my other. It was a shock in some ways to find out that it was moderate/severe, only found out last Friday so it might take time to sink in. Dont get me wrong i have suffered with painful, swollen,stiff knees for years (i had repeated dislocations of knees when i was younger) but in 2014 my right knee got worse so doctor sent me for xray which showed mild wear and tear, which was how she explained it.I didnt know that that meant osteoarthritis and doctor didnt explain that this was the case. So i just carried on as normal, boy if only i knew.

Anyhow here i am 3 years down the line. My doctor as said that im too young for knee replacement,im 43,but from what ive read im petrified of having this done! Basically i have got try and live with it and take painkillers. Not been given much advice, i struggle on steps and stairs and my walking isnt great but i might get a walking stick to help with this.

I was wondering if anyone else is going through similar to myself, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. x

A

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Annette

Lyn is absolutely right in saying to exercise the upper body, but you also need to try to keep the muscles in the leg strong too. It is hard I know but there are exercises you can do which will help.

Also try alternative practitioners, I still see a Chiropractor, in my opinion she was instrumental in getting me through TKR. Also with chiropractic you will be given exercises & stretches which strengthen the core muscles & also legs.

Also Acupuncture is very good in dealing with chronic pain. It was the only thing that worked when my back was really bad some years ago, managed to throw away the painkillers. Until the knees went!!

Do plenty of research, there will be other things you can try.

The trick is staying away from the 'quacks' who will only improve their bank balance.

I'm just trying to give you some alternatives that I know helped me.

I hope you find some relief, get your shopping delivered, it doesn't cost that much (Sainsbury's is free if you spend £100), Iceland cheaper! Shop around online. It will at give you a little more 'family time'.

You are way too young to be having all this pain & worry, but remember we are always here if you want a chat.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi again Marilyn

You advice is so good and i cannot thankyou enough for it.

Im going to buy an exercise bike because ive read its good for getting your knee and leg muscles stronger.

My husband as been doing our food shopping which he doesnt mind doing but i will keep in mind to get it delivered incase he gets fed up of doing it! Lol.

I have good and bad days mentally but im determined that this condition wont  blight my life and my families life! I was always a upbeat, happy person prior to this and as ive said  in the past i think im just getting over the shock of diagnosis. Everyone on here as well as yourself have given me so much brillant advice, i  thank everyone so much for this.

Annette. x 

• Posted

Yep exercise bike has realy helped me throughout my  joint problems start slow and build up both with time and resitance and esnure the saddle is at the correxct height to stretch and work those muscles. lot on line about it. Light anke weight might help too but I think you need advice from   physio first.  
  • Posted

Hi Annette,

Sorry to hear of your  plight, end stage osteoarthritis can rapidly become severe in a short time scale,

I think a TKR at your age is young as Chico has stated due to the life expectancy of the  artificail joint. I had mine done at 55 years 13 weeks ago. My Consultant told me will do at 50 years plus if severe indication.

You are well within your rights to ask for a referral to orthopaedics who might give you a short term relief option such as Cortisone (will only give 3 apparently) i had one shot of this with  my Rheumatologist relief for 6 months. The other option would be to press your GP to refer you to an NHS pain relief clinic. I know not everyone likes taking pain killers but sometimes needs must. There are non addictive painkillers availbale. I have not heard of Synvic injections but probably not been told about them.

In the last year  I used a stick whcih helped my other knee and found exercising in the pool gently helped but initially had Hydotherapy as referred by Rheumatologist but your GP could do this but you do have to tell them what you want and be a bit assertive and take out the emotion (like going through a divorce !!). It is important to maintain or build your leg muscles to help with your current situation and for any future surgery. TKR is a long haul as everyone on here has stated but I am far better with a stable knee already, a 93 year old in the bed next to me was amazing inspiration and tough.

Letme know how you get on with your GP.

BW

Jan

• Posted

Hi again Jan thought i would let you know how i got on with my GP yesterday.

Managed to get a telephone appointment with him, its a nightmare to try and get through to the surgery especially on a Monday! Anyhow i honestly think my last appointment with him he must have asleep or something, i dont think he took on board last week how much this is affecting me. I made sure he did this time, like you said you have to be assertive and ask for what you need. I told him i had the weekend of hell with regards to pain so he said to take cocodomols when the pain is bad and gave me lactulose for the constipation cocodomols give.He also gave me inflammation gel because he said for long term being on painkillers isnt good so we will see how we get on with it. I told him i feel as though ive been given no advice, didnt seem bothered about that to be honest because i know there is nothing much they can do until i get my dreaded TKR. He also said that he will review me in the Autumn so see how im getting on with regards to pain management. I thought ,the Autumn, his he for real that seems ages away but i thought i will make appointments with him as when i need to! He did say to get myself a walking stick to try and get out. Im going to look into getting a walking stick, ive never had a walking stick so dont know what type i need or anything.

Anyhow i hope you are feeling ok, thanks for keeping intouch again, its very much appreciated.

Annette. x

• Posted

All those OTC pain meds will eat at your stomach eventually so they are NOT a good idea long term.  The Voltaren Gel is your best bet on the topical side.  Works for me in about 15 minutes.  Especially great at bedtime.

"The Dreaded TKR"!!!!  Most people have already told you to prepare for this physically by getting your legs as strong as possible in advance but you also have to get ready mentally and spiritually.  You CANNOT be surprised by ANYTHING that happens!!!  No expectations!!!  Know how difficult this will probably be...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Spiritually, you have to find your "center", the place no pain can reach.  Wall it off and be able to go there to be calm and relaxed whenever you need it...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

Prepare...prepare...prepare...  Most of us never got the chance.

• Posted

Thanks again for advice, yeah i dont want to take painkillers long term going to see how i get on with ibuprofen gel that was presribed by doctor.

Yeah i do go on about tkr and maybe that is annoying to people but i will get my head round it, ive been told time and time again how i am strong person but  ive only just found out ive got ostearthritis let alone getting tkr done god knows when though! Your threads sound really helpful and  i will look back when its my time for tkr.

Thanks for advice.

Annette.

• Posted

Hi Annette

If you still want a walking stick try complete care shop online. Reasonable prices & lots of lovely colours.

I know it's hard to come to terms with osteoarthritis, I was originally diagnosed in 2008, told I needed bilateral TKR s in 2010 but too young. No treatment given! I'm afraid it's trial & error to find what works for you. But, definitely if you want a chemical free treatment, try alternative medicine. The only ones I would recommend from personal experience are Acupuncture & Chiropractic, both effective.

I hope you find your path to less pain.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hiya Marilyn

Thanks again for advice, yeah ive seen lots of shops online selling them, i will have a look at the one youve suggested.

Ive self reffered myself to physiotherapy to see if they can help me, should hear hopefully in about 10 days time with regards to an appointment, they can also advise on walking sticks so i will wait to hear what they have to say first.

Im sure i will find what works for me, im getting my prescription for ibuprofen gel today so looking forward to see if this also helps, only had 2 paracetmols yesterday was in pain before bed but was so tired must have slept through!

Thanks again for great advice

Annette. x

• Posted

I hope you get good advice from Physio, are you going NHS or private?

The woman I saw in 2009 only gave me an exercise sheet. Hopefully by now they are a little more understanding of the needs of people with osteoarthritis & can give advice too!

Once you find something that really works for you, you will manage until TKR becomes the only option! I know they don't like to do it too young as the life of the prosthesis is apparently only about 20 years MAX! But hey you also want quality of life, which when your day is filled with pain & you hobble like an old woman you don't have.

TKR is undoubtedly a hard, brutal operation but I am soooo glad I had it done. I should have gone back to my GP in 2013 & said I couldn't manage any more but was scared of having such a major operation!

Don't be a wuss like me, when you really cannot stand the pain anymore, go back to your GP & make your case. Plead, yell, do what you must but be heard & understood! You think you can't do this op but you can & will. Because to be out of pain is worth more than money can buy!

I haven't looked back & neither will you!

Be thinking of you love

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Im going to have to go NHS just cannot afford private, mind you i havent even looked into private but i probably wont be able to aford it!

I will definetly be making my case for tkr but im going to see how i get on the next few months and try and build up my knee and leg muscles with exercise bike and strengthing exercises.

Like you said i hope physio as changed since 2009 but i will give it a go.

Im so glad that you had it done and your out of this pain, you have given me such great advice and when my time comes to have tkr i will remember all you have said.

Thanks.

Annette. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.