Knee Osteoarthritis T K R

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in 1971 i had a bad motorcycle accident.

Every bone in my right leg was broken and my knee took a violent impact.

Back then the surgeon said that later in life i would get Osteoarthritis Osteoarthritis in that leg.

Over time it has been getting steadily worse and got to a point last November when i had a sharp pain and couldn't straighten my leg.

The x rays show that i need a T K R which is due on 18 April 2018.

They said i have some Osteoarthritis in my left leg.

Since i have been putting all my weight on my left leg to compensate it is really painful and i only now have 80 degree bend.

I am hoping that when my T N R on my right leg is done it may help my other knee.

I m very concerned that the pain will not go i have been unable to drive / walk since November. sad

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Everyone I know who has had a TKR is pain free and gets around very well. As with any joint replacement surgery a key success factor is you and the physio. If you don't do it, take painkillers if its too painful, you won't get the full benefits of the surgery. Which is why many people complain that its not very successful. This is definitely a case of no pain, no gain. 

I have just had my 3rd finger joint replacement and always pain free but it does take time so don't expect miracles, but after several months you will reap the rewards forwards. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I have one more check-up next week two days before my op to see physiotherapist pre admission and another blood test.

They keep telling me how painful its going to be and the anaesthetist said its the most painful op they do.

The anaesthetist also said i would be having a local not a general.

Not sure i want to see or hear anything during surgery.rolleyes

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Tell them no way a local. My surgeon tried that one on me and he did a general. You definitely don’t want to be awake. 

I had had mine done privately by they can be done on the NHS. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Defender.So sorry to hear of your pain sad I have had many accidents,and have OA too.I've found Boron helps quite a bit,and staying away as much as possible from the 'deadly nightshade' family.Which is.Tobacco,potato,tomato,aubergine,peppers mainly helps.I love roast potatoes,and tomatoes,so I save myself for the weekend.Wknight.Did you get the finger replacement on the NHS? I'm a guitarist,and pianist,and cannot play anymore because my fingers are so painful,and just don't bend.It would give me my life back if I could play again with joint replacements..This damp isn't helping us OA suffers at mo in good ole blighty!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up