knee pain!

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello i was looking for some help concerning my left knee, i was an active person playing football and running, i felt a pain under my knee cap on the inner side while running i didnt think much of it tbh. then it gradually got worse after finishing the run my knee was locked up for two days. i gave it 3 weeks rest and still a pain up the inner side of my knee,

went to the doctors and eventually had a x rey and mri scan both came back ok, but the mri picked up swelling within the knee but no reason for it. still four months down the line it constantly aches, and the pain up the inner side of my knee is still present .please does somebody have any insight into my problem? thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to see an Orthopedic Surgeon yet??

My knee pain started on the inside too, it turned out to be a torn ligament in addition to this i had rough cartlidge , my hospital arranged an Arthroscopy which sorted it short term, I wouldn't leave it keep going back to your GP and ask for a 2nd opinion with a consultant.

• Posted

my doctor referred me to the hospital, i dont think the person who saw me was orthopedic surgeon.

shes the one who sent me for scans but all ok apparently, with swelling inside my with no actual cause, shes referred me to physiotherapy but i cant see that helping me. really starting to effect me now.

• Posted

I Also had physiotherapy each week, i think it is just ticking all the boxes, before you see a consultant, once you see a consultant he/she will exam your scans and x ray, and see what is wrong, had anyone offered you a cortisone injection ? these are really good and reduces the pain, and enables you to get about a bit better, they will only give you 3 as a max.

• Posted

i believe the person i saw must of been a consultant because i had to wait weeks for an appointment, no i have not been offered any injections to date, may i ask did your mri scan pick up straight away with your ligament and cartlidge? because i read cartlidge tears are hard to pick up?
  • Posted

Am assuming so as it was from that the consultant decided on an arthroscopy!!
  • Posted

oh ok thanks, well my problem is according to the results no serious damage in done
  • Posted

i got this in my early 20's... its probably rough cartilage and it will take time to go away.... Yoga stretching fixed it.. it has come back in my early 50's but same scenario... didn't do a lot over winter, and then after hard training, problem appeared day or 2 later. probably took a year before i was pain free, the problem resurfaced because i couldn't do any stretching cause of tendinitis, which put the strain on the knee.
  • Posted

im in my early 20s i ican walk but it aches most the time, i was doing a little bit on the bikes in the gym slowly and tbh it did start to feel a bit better. then i thought id go for a slow swim did n 20 lenghs and then struggled walk for weeks now its starting to feel a bit better but there is still this pain up the inside of my knee, thanks for comment
  • Posted

i would rest up and ice it, just give it time!
  • Posted

thanks ive been doing that four months though
  • Posted

Firstly 3 weeks is nothing!!!! Its quite common with Athletes in their early 20's ( does go away) but a cartilage scrape can do the job ( NOT guaranteed!) But i stopped cycling for over a year and started stretching. probably took closer to 2 years...If you are not prepared to wait that long... would definitely myself think about an Op (in and out in no time these days! ) but the recovery can take just as long i think....i am not a doctor (btw) would look to give proper time off, then do muscle strengthening exercises, and stretch. would not return to running for a few months... Just my opinion, regards,
  • Posted

thanks for your opinion, ill have to carry on resting, my job doesnt help im on my feet most of the day,
  • Posted

Have you tried Linnex Heat stick? 

Apply it to your knee, then wrap with a knee support or a bandage, it will keep warm for hours and it will really help you back to recovery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.