knee pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I have pain in my left knee all the time. I am 61 now and have had the pain for about 25 years, although then it didn't last as long.

When I was in my 40s I went for an MRI and the result was wear and tear - so no action, just put up with it!

Since then I have had x-rays on several occasions and each time the result is - wear and tear!

My knee is not swollen at all, and does not lock. I have pain on the inner side of kneecap, and sometimes a burning pain too. It is very painful to walk, and the "limp" I adopt causes pain in my hip.

The pain has been gradually getting worse over the last few months, and is now more or less constant.  It keeps me awake at night, and no amount of ibuprofin or paracetamol, or Voltarol helps.

This morning I went to my GP, who has told me that I'm too young for a knee replacement as they only last 10 years. She has arranged for me to have a steroid injection.

Can anyone give me advice?

She actually asked me if I wanted a knee replacement, and said she would refer me, but I thought I would explore any other avenies first.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Judith sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain.  I too have OA in both knees neck and spine, but it is the knees which really cause the problem. I was to have a washout last year, but during the time waiting for surgery the pain improved so much that they did want to do it.  Now the other leg has the same pain and I am awaiting referral back to hospital I am 66 but they have not mentioned Knee replacement so far.  My pain goes all down outside and front of leg as well as knee.  I would have thought that if you are in that much pain they would recommend surgery.  I read that artificial knee joints last 10 to 15 years, but I suppose with women especially living into their 80's they only want to do the surgery once.  They may suggest a washout (arthroscopy) or physio therapy.

If you are able to take most painkillers then ask doctor for something stronger.

Unfortunately I can't take some of them.  I think Naproxen is stronger than ibuprofen and maybe one of the codeine ones, although I think they do cause constipation.  Hopefully the injection will work for you.  I asked at the hospital last year and was told no we don't do them anymore.  NHS cuts I suppose.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Others on this forum might give you some other advice but what I am realising is that you have to be persistant with the GP.  Take care.

• Posted

All, I can say is there are a lot of people under 60 that have knee replacement .

if the pain is that bad that it stops you doing things then maybe it is time .i know people that have has each knee done twice!.

you can have  the knee washed out and the injection, they are maybe worth a try 

• Posted

Hi Judith, sorry to hear your going through so much pain with your knee...I had my 1st TKR @ 53 with revised surgery @ 55 along with a right TKR @ 55...I suffered with the same symptoms you describe & medication didn't really help in any way...I had Cortisone in my knee which helped 4 a few days but soon wore off...I also had numerous arthroscopies to flush out the joint but still ended up having 2 go for replacement surgery in the end...if you feel that you'd rather go down the route of trying other things rather than surgery & can put up with the pain then I wish you all the best...I hope whatever you choose you have success, good luck
  • Posted

Hi Judith. I had an arthroscopy 15 years ago at age 52 and my surgeon said that I would need a  tkr in a couple of years. I mentioned that I heard they only lasted 20 years and he said that wasn't always the case. He said when I reached the stage that the pain kept me awake at night, as yours does, I should get it done. Well that has only been the case for a couple of years and only in the winter. I have now been told I should have a tkr and it should have been done years ago. I think you must really push this if you are in such pain. 
  • Posted

Hi,Judith,you need to get a second opinion or politely stand your ground and asked to be referred to a Consultant. Just because you have "wear and tear"is not a contraindication to knee replacement,as also your age. I am 59 and had TKR last December. The NICE guidelines also don't recommend steroid injections any more. Have you tried some stronger painkillers(prescribed by your GP) or Glucosamine ?
  • Posted

you need stronger pain killers ,the steroid injection may or may not work , but you have to try them first , and the talk of you being to young is rubbish , im having my 2nd tkr on monday ( the opposite knee ) , im 53 and have been having problems for about 18 months , to the degree it stoped me working and didnt sleep due to the pain ,and have been taking morphine for a year now and cant wait till monday ,this condition is very painful ,when you get to the stage your home and working life is on hold its time to get it done , hope this helps 

• Posted

Hi Judith, I sympathise with your suffering. I was told to try to avoid a TKR as long as possible but eventually saw a consultant who said it was the only real option. I still took time to decide but eventually had it done last week. I hope I made the right choice! I'm 64. During the last year though I've had a lot of physiotherapy and have done exercises and ridden a stationary bike daily. This definitely eased the pain and helped with flexibility. I'm hoping it will help in my ability to recover from the op too. Have you tried this? Jen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.