Knee pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have knee pain and doctor told me to MRI my right knee

Conclution was:

Grade 3 tear of the posterior horn of lateral meniscus. Associated lobulatec cystic lesion and lateral to it communication with meniscus tear.

Sprain of anterior cruciate ligament near tibial insertion.

Doctor told me surgery is not need if your not sport player, and told me to do exercise.

Someone please tell me should i go for surgery or not?

If not, it will not damage my meniscus more?

And what precautions should i take?

Thank you

Nikunj

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes.  Probably will, depends on how much you push/twist the knee.  None; if it;s gonna tear more, it will tear more...period.

Sports player or not, this will ALWAYS bother you until you must have the surgery.  Get it done and spare yourself years of pain.

• Posted

Hi Nikunj,

Tough choices. Sounds like you're really freaked out. Your doc is there to guide you and if you research it, you can ask very specific questions re your condition. I've had medial tears on both knees and acted accordingly. Planned interventions, time off. Nothing was done immediately.

Remember, we can only tell you our experiences and we are NOT your caregiver/doctor.

Resting to let the strain/sprain heal then exercise to build strength is common treatment. Some tears seal. Others do not. Leaking from the tear into your tissues causes swelling which impedes range of motion and activity. Only you can make a decision when your activity level loss is unbearable and you personal decision becomes clearer what course of action you will want to take.

Good luck

• Posted

This is one of those decisions made by a Dr in your particular part of The world. In the US and a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon surgery immediately would be the call, I'm guessing regardless of age. Some very minor meniscus tears can heal themselves with help of a qualified therapist. My sister in law was 73, Obviousily non athletic but an avid gardener tore hers and surgery was set up. Due to a non cancellable refund trip to europe, her Dr gave her an injection to help with pain and scheduled surgery a week After her return to the states. Surgery and 6 weeks of therapy and she was back on her hands and knees in her garden. Without the surgery she was never going to do that again.

I guess its all a matter of local medical practice and availability of surgery that dictates your next step.

• Posted

I'm 57 and 6 months into non stop discomfort with my knee due to a meniscus tear so surgery next week. One moment it feels a bit better, I do more then I'm set back again so have decided to go for the surgery. I've also had physio to no avail.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.