Knee pain after a fall.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a right TKR in 2005 and has been no trouble whatsoever, over the past six months or so it has started to clunk inside when I walk so I think it is probably coming to the end of its natural lifespan.

Two weeks ago I had a fall and broke my right ankle. I was admitted to hospital because the cause of the fall was a blackout, now the ankle pain was bad enough but the pain in my right knee was something else, I had to argue to get the knee x rayed, but was told there was nothing wrong with it. After a very bad night pain wise I tried to get the hospital staff to understand how bad this pain was and in the end a CT scan was done, again I was told there was nothing wrong, now I know my own body and how it behaves, I still do not believe there is nothing wrong, and the reason being I was sent home with one of those big ski boot walkers, but even now two weeks later it is the terrible pain on both sides of my knee that is giving me the most problem, it is so bad I don't want to walk on it at all.

Is it possible to dislodge a TKR because of a fall ?

Apologies for the long post.

Sean.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No apologies necessary...

A good ortho would probably take an alignment x-ray (the one they do 6-months post op) to see if hip/knee/anke are all still lined up properly.  I'm saying this because of your fall and the sounds you are hearing.  Go to an ortho group that works for your local pro and college sports teams...that's where I'd start.

Next, I have not heard of a TKR going bad in only 5 years...they're built for 15-20.  After my hip replacement in 2009, I asked the doc when I could start playing hockey again.  Told me that if I resumed playing, the hip would last 3-4 years; if I gave up the game, it would last 20.  So...

Have you been doing anything that you shouldn't have been doing that made the knee wear out so soon?  If no, I'd get the knee checked out by a real pro ASAP.  I have some clicking and clunking but that's normal 6-18 months post op...but 5 years later???  Sounds like a whole different situation.

Meantime, non-opioid meds include 800 mg ibuprophin (RX) TID or Tramadol (RX).  Both are short-term aids until you get a diagnosis.  There's also topical Voltaren Gel (also RX) that's a great anti-inflammatory.

Get to a good doc for a diagnosis and pain relief.  This is not something you want to deal with long term...

• Posted

My total knee went out in 2 years now having it redone, so it can happen.
    • Posted

Hi

Yes knees cam last long time or very little time first tkr 2007 I am today going for pre op for knee no 5 after a fall

• Posted

This is a typical list of do/don't activities following a TKR.

Allowed activities: • Walking • Slow dancing • Stationary or non-stationary bicycle • Bowling • Golf • Low impact aerobics • Croquet • Swimming • Shuffleboard • Horseshoes 

Allowed activities with some experience: • Hiking (mild to moderate) • Rowing • Cross Country skiing • Stationary skiing (Nordic Trac) • Faster walking • Tennis (non-competitive) • Certain weight machines • Ice skating

Activities not recommended: • Handball • Squash • Rock climbing • Soccer • Singles Tennis • Volleyball • Football • Gymnastics • Lacrosse • Hockey • Basketball • Jogging • Running

Probably not recommended: • Roller Blading • Inline skating • Downhill skiing 

I am assuming here that if you avoid the "Don'ts", your knee will last 15-20 years.  I can't see how a knee lasts only 2-5 if you stick to the "Do" list and have not had any traumatic event happen (car crash, bad fall, severe twisting of the knee, etc.).  The only other possibility, IMHO, is that the surgeon was incompetant.  Anything else?  

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Chico Marx. Just to be clear, I had my TKR in 2005, so that's eleven years ago, I was discharged after my fall last week with Oramorph, paracetamol, and codeine phosphate, Oramorph doesn't really work for me, the codiene just bungs me up, so might have to take to the tramadol for better pain relief

• Posted

Yes there are other things that can happen to your implant like your body rejecting the cement that they use, i have had many scans and see a good ortho, now having to have a revision because of the cement. I am using a different ortho than the one who did my 1st one. But i have only had this one for 2 years, and i am very careful with all activities. It is devistating.
    • Posted

This is why they call it the "practice" of medicine.  No joke.  Docs first try the thing that work for 80% of people...according to the literature.  If it doesn't help, they move on to Door Number Two...etc.....  You never know what actually works for you until something does.

Seano: Be careful with selecting an RX opioid pain killer.  If Codeine is not good for you, do NOT use Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco, etc.) as it's Codeine-based.  Use the equivalent of Oxycodone (Percocet, Oxycontin)...no Codeine.

• Posted

My God I feel your pain. Call your doctor, demand he order Mai's or whatever, it's not normal for you to suffer like that!

• Posted

I had my knee replaced 10 years ago. I have had incredible pain since the first week of July and have not been able to pin it down. But about three weeks ago I remember that I went to the trampoline park with my pre-K class. It suddenly hit me that I must have messed it up then. So add trampolining to the not to do list. My surgeon says that I have to have a revision and that jumping on the trampoline pushed this surgery up. I also thought that my knee would last a lot longer. I agree with the others go to a good orthopaedic surgeon and get the proper scans etcete. You know your body and it obviously is damaged or you did something to it. Best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Thanks all for your input, I have a different orthopod now to the one who carried out my original op. I was supposed to have my left knee done three weeks ago, but during my pre op I was found to be iron deficient so that has been shelved until my iron level is above 12, anyway I called my orthopods secretary today to try and get to see him but he is booked up till December 8th but the strange thing is I was supposed to go to fracture clinic today but never got the letter so have missed that one but my ortho's got e another one for next Wednesday, but this is the strange part, I was expecting the appointment for a review on my broken ankle, but the appointment is to see am ortho knee consultant....if as I have been told twice in hospital that there is nothing wrong with the joint why do I have an appointment to see about my knee in fracture clinic ?

Sean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.