Knee Pain and Bakers Cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have bakers cyst and pain on my knee(while standing or walking), left leg.X-Rays show no bone related problems. 

I had a hamstring injury some time ago, and the above mentioned problem is probably due to tight muscles and weak legs(quads, hamstring,hip, gluteus). I had lower back injury (long time ago), but not much discomfort.

Please advise. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi weaklegs, what info are you looking for?

• Posted

Hi,

How can i get rid of bakers cyst and knee pain ? 

What kind of stretching and strenghtening excercises are required ?

• Posted

Oh gosh - I've had bakers cysts in both knees too, so I totally relate.  The first ortho I saw made me lie on my tummy and he simply stuck a needle in the back of my knee!!  No - don't let anyone do that.  What I've learned since then is that doctors don't like trying to aspirate them because there would be a risk of infection.

Bakers cysts are more a symptom of having knee problems - hence your knee pain.  Best advice is to see an ortho and get a MRI. See a physio as well.  We have a physiotherapist in our group and I'll ask him to see if he can give you some advice.  His website is h t t p s://b o d y g r a d e s .c o m /    with no spaces.  

He is tsw678.  You can email him by clicking on "my messages" above.

I had to wait many years before I could get my TKRs done and hydrotherapy helped me enormously - a physio who does that would be a great start for you while you're getting a full diagnosis.  Let us know how you go.

• Posted

tsw678 contacted me and I have sent him a message regarding my knee issues.

I really hope that TKE will not be required. My issue is probably muscle related because it started all of sudden after doing physiotherpahy and hamstring strenghtening excercises by the physio.

• Posted

Great, I'm so glad he contacted you.  We're so lucky to have him here.  I hope you don't need a TKR too, but if you end up having to have it's a good thing, yes hard work, but worth it if that's the way you need to go forward.  

• Posted

Hi weaklegs...I also have a baker's cyst and have just had a TKR six months ago . I find that when my knee is swollen due to exercise my cyst also swells. So I have tried various methods to curb the swelling and these methods also seem to have an positive effect on both my knee and cyst. They are: 1. always ice for at least twenty minutes after exercise ( try to get totally around the knee) 2. When the cyst is bothersome use an ace bandage for compression 3. Try an antiflamatory to help keep the swelling down Hope this is of some help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.