Knee Pain bending past 90 degrees -

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since April 13th --   I Hurt my right knee did have a torn meniscus..caused by over running.   I iced continuously ON.. OFF..  for 2 to 3 weeks..and when not icing ..  I wore a very strong stability type brace..  and I kept my right leg elevated.. rest and more rest and  now am starting to run again tomorrow!!!!  Hope fully....   OK the worried problem is ---  In fear of my left knee..LEFT KNEE MYSTERY...  No injury except I did not have crutches for  my get around during my torn menicus and I really loaded the weight on a broom onto my left leg..LOL not funny really.. but I just did not move unless I absolutely had too.. I think this is how I injured my left knee.. combo of this and earlier over RUNNING... Now.. >> since April 16 --  I cannot bend it.. I  feel EXTREMELY sharp pain in this knee. since April 16, there's been like an inflamed tendon or something on the lateral side of my left knee - some band/tendon  maybe???? that seems like its attaching to my knee. Its extremely painful when I bend my knee past 90 degrees. When I bend it farther than 90 it starts to feel super tight and almost like something is about to rip & tear. Not sure whats going on??? I've stayed off it for 5-6 weeks now and have not noticed any changes. I try to ace wrap when I sleep.. well this causes pain..  now I just leave it and rest leg on top of pillow at night.  If I roll side to side.. I carefully keep the pillow between both knees.  If I miss..  I awake sobbing in pain...  Its terrible!!!   I Exercise like half-squats and do stretching specifically for Iliotibial band syndrome...AND I do hamstring curls on my smith machine... these exercises of this sort don't hurt. I use my Rower one hour twice a day and lift dumbells stretching..  seems to aggravate it and makes the tendon feel tighter- Also,.. itermittently itches for a few hours, can scratch ) for a while .. then goes away- but comes back.. too I massage the area.. I am trying anything to fix this!!  too another thing to share<<X>>> I can't get on my hands and knees to look under a bed for something.   Applied pressure creates extreme hurt!  i truly do not know if I have (Iliotibial band syndrome)  I am just doing the stretches for it .. have only done this for two days.. so far no changes.  Please if someone knows what I can do???  PLEASE HELP!! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Arecyoubdoing this under medical supervision or only as a method you picked up on your own. Most therapists and Dr's don't recommend braces except under certain circumstances. I would get medical advice ASAP and back off this intensive rehab. Overworking is very dangerous and can be counterproductive. I've had 5 complete rehabs, 11 surgeries. With that I've seen too many people put themselves at risk self medicating. I o we heard one PT use the analogy that went like this: if a doctor 's e you a bottle of pills to take over a one month period he wouldn't want you to take them in a week. Yet therapists will prescribe a one month strengthening exercise and people will try to complete it in a week......thinking more is better. From an outsiders standpoint, it appears you are on a more is better regime and you are making it worse.

• Posted

Totally true about self-bracing.  Ya gotta see an ortho for the imaging studies to find out exactly what's going on.  You will not get better without professional direction.  Oh...and get rid of the "fear"...only gets in the way.  Your knees are what they are and that can't be changed by emotions.  Find a great sports knee guy and do what has to be done...before you do more damage...

PS: You can NEVER push a knee to health...NEVER.  Knees take a lot of time to heal.  I've successfully pushed a hip and two shoulders...but not the knee.  It's a marathon rehab...not a sprint.  Doing too much too fast ALWAYS makes it worse.

You see the "6" next to our names?  Listen to the people who have been through this time and time and time again.  Listen and learn...save yourself the pain.

• Posted

Did you get to the bottom of this? You have described everything I'm going through. please help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.