Knee pain following THR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All, not been on here for a while. I asked lots of pre op questions which you were all wonderful in answering and helped to make the decision to go ahead. 

Well I'm now 10 days post op and after a shaky start in hospital (reactions to anaesthetic and strong pain meds) I've now been home for 4 days and things are going well. I'm following my PT exercises (gently) a couple of gentle short walks outside, paracetamol and ice for pain relief. 

However, I am experiencing awful pain in my right knee (operated side) after exercising and walking. I've tried icing which give temporary relief. It the knee pain is worse than any of my pre op pain in my hip 😞 . I have noticed that my operated leg is slightly longer despite the surgeon saying that according to the x ray they are level. I can't stand flat on both feet without pushing my hip up and when I do one of the exercises to slide my operated leg back keeping my knee straight I can't. I have decided to stand on a paperback book whilst doing this and that helps but only confirms to me that the operated leg is definitely longer. 

My concern is that I don't want to learn to walk again, still incorrectly and cause other problems with my good hip etc. I'm guessing I may need a heel raise to help with this but I want professional advice on this. 

Should I try to see a physio sooner rather than later to discuss this as not due back at the hospital for 6 weeks? 

And I being too impatient, will my new hip 'bed in'? 

Thanks everyone. 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi am 7 weeks pre op and my knee hurts and it never did before my operation. It keeps me awake every night am seeing my physio next week am going to see what they say xx
  • Posted

Kimberley: I am 9 weeks post op, Posterior Approach Hip Replacement.  I too have had lot s of trouble with the knee on the operated side.  I have gotten it to bend,finally,  but I have swelling massively every day. which requires ice and elevation.  My hip down to the knee feels like it is made of cement.  I have been attending PT 3 days a week and then do the exercises at home on the off days. Today I started doing them in the pool.   I am an other wise fit person who eats carefully, watches my weight and has embraced the whole pt program. Yet, I am still struggling to walk normally. I am delighted this surgery may have felt like a miracle to some, but to me this has been a real challenge full of dark moments and wondering if I will be stuck limping and dragging a leg around that is full of cement down, to almost the ankle.  Yes, I did ask the doctor.  Who did not examine me, but looked at the X-ray and declared  me a success.  I feel you should see your physic sooner rather than later, maybe you can head off some scar tissue building up or some arthrofibrosis. I hope you are doing better by your next post.    Don't loose heart. This can sure be a tedious recovery.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.