Knee pain keeping me awake

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I posted last week about my knee pain and all symptoms were pointing towards a torn meniscus. I have had really bad swelling and my knee has been locking out and causing hellish pain and embarrassment ( falling over at work etc)

It's 5am here in the UK and I've been awake for hours! I went to sleep as normal last night and my knee has locked out twice in the space of 4 hours! It's never happened whilst I was sleeping before ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ . I'm scared to sleep now in case it goes again!ย 

Im having a MRI next Monday but won't get the results for a while as I'm flying to Mexico next week on holiday (sitting on a plane for 12 hours is going to be fun!).

Has anyone else experienced the locking whilst asleep? Do you think I should brace it in bed so that I can't put my knee into any funny angles when I'm asleep?

Im so fed up and tired ๐Ÿ˜ฐ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie!

My doctor told me that A LOT of people have torn meniscus issues.He was NOT very sympathetic! Fine for him. HE was not the one HURTING!

I have suffered pain in the back of my right knee since September 2007 when I stepped off a curb on an evening walk on vacation in Orlando, Florida.

I have had both knees replaced in the last seven months but STILL will feel tightness and pain behind my right knee.

My Physical Therapist suggested I do frequent stretches to work my hamstrings. It helps A LOT as does strengthening my quad muscles to take pressure off the ligaments.

As far as positions to feel more comfortable, I say TRY DIFFERENT POSITIONS!

I was having issues with my right hip and sciatic nerve. I discovered that starting on my left side while in bed and crossing my right leg over like a twist COMPLETELY ELIMINATED my hip and sciatic nerve pain! This is now my starting position and helps me drift off to sleep right away. Later I can go back to my normal sleeping on my stomach. If I begin to feel pain again I go back to my twist. Discovered this by random tries. Maybe YOU will discover what works for YOU!

Wishing you success! Sleep is GREAT...IF you can achieve it! It is worth trying just about anything to arrive a a decent night of sleep!

Have an awesome trip to Mexico!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Cheryl.

I tried sleeping with a pillow between my knees last night and had some decent sleep and surprisingly everything doesn't seem so bad when your not dog tired.

My GP has done an urgent referral to the orthopaedic surgeon and said that even without evidence on MRI my symptoms warrant a arthroscopy to investigate why my knee is locking.

I Sympathise with you over the hip pain, last year I had real problems with my SI joint.

Hopefully some warm weather in Mexico will help my joints ๐Ÿ˜€

• Posted

Hi Debbie how did you get you knee to unlock as mine seems to be locking in bed a lot at the moment! I also have dislocation of the patella & the knee pops out of place all the time without warning

• Posted

Debbie,

I have not had knee surgery and my ortho says there's basically nothing wrong with me (MRI showed nothing) but for over two years now, after a knee twisting/calf tearing incident post workout, my knee or behind my knee continues to lock about every 2-3 months (no clue as to pattern). And it does lock in my sleep. I've found wearing a flexible knee brace helps --- if anything, it  keeps me from pulling my legs upwards which tends to cause locking. I also get locking after rising too quickly from a seated position. It's excrutiatingly painful --- to the point that one time I could not get it unlocked and ended up in the emergency room (they had no luck either). I did read of a trick to unlock it which I've only used once when it locked on a ride at Disney World of all places -- and thankfully it worked. When it's locked, try pulling your heel backwards towards your butt. Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.