Knee Pain/Swelling

Posted , 5 users are following.

2 Weeks ago was playing football I over extended my leg as I landed heard as pop sound as I changed direction, I imideatllay stopped playing and went home to rest with some ice on my knee, over the next 4 days my knee was swollen, stiff, painful and hurt at the back and sides. I was unable to extend my knee or bend past a certain point, my knee would give way or feel a locking sensation or something catching when bending.

went to the doctors and was unable to complete a exam due to swelling and pain, was told to keep icing and swelling should go, the pain has improved with pain only again certain movements and fast movements with the pain located on side and behind the leg, but the swelling is still there, any thoughts would be great

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry predictive text. Should have read. Get it xrayed Jonesey thats my advice.
  • Posted

Once the swelling goes down got back to the doctor's for an MRI since that will show soft tissue tears.  I am no doctor but I have had meniscus tears and it sounds like what it felt like for me...but I am sure a lot of knee injuries sound like what you described so it is best to have a doctor do an MRI  

• Posted

Ouch that really stinks - and to continue to have swelling for 2 weeeks is quite a long time if you are icing, elevating and staying off it currently, Not sure  what kind of doctor you went to, but a good ortho would have been able to do more than that for you at your appointment. The advice of others is solid - you need an MRI to be properly evaluated but again, they usually recommend that the swelling be under control before they will perform one. It could be ACL or one of the other crucial ligaments, due to the popping sound or yes the meniscus is also a possibility. Did they do an X-ray to make sure your patella (knee cap) is in tact? Are you taking any oral anti-inflammatory medication? I hope you get some answers soon. Keep it elevated and stay off it as much as possible. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Posted

"went to the doctors..."  You need to see a SPORTS orthopedic surgeon and get the necessary imaging done...NOW!!!  Find a group near you that works with local college and professional sports teams.

• Posted

Hello All,

Finally Got a update, had a MRI done in December and the results are in, i have a "chronic high-grade partial tear of the ACL with a associated anterior tibial Translocation.

So my question does anyone know anything about tibial Translocation, also sugery may be a option but does anyone have any good rehab tricks for helping a partially torn ACL?

Hope your all well, and happy new year

Connor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.