knee pain totally ruining my life

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have had a mri around 3 months ago on my right knee , they found 2 meniscus tears on inside and 1 on the outside of the knee, i have been back to the Drs and he put me on pain killers and rub volterol on knee 3-4 times a day, dr also emailed hospital to ask why i wasn't referred for surgery there reply was it wasn't severe enough ? so he then referred me for phisio ,

i have been for phisio 5 times now just for exercises to try to strengthen the muscles , now i have been refered from physio to gym which i dreading , i dont think phisio at this point have done anything to help .

well i am a worker and the last 2 months its been hell i cant seem to stop the pain sometimes at night to the point of even shedding a teardrop as i couldn't get comfortable and just had continuous pain , im on the verge of just packing it all in and climbing into bed and staying there as most things i used to do i just cant do it , after work knee hurts so much i just have to rest it ,

reason for me joining this discussion is i know i have wear on my knee as im 53 yrs old and always worked all my life , im not asking for a miracle cure but if someone got and medical remedies or any other advise so i can try to get my life back as i think im going to have to try to sort this out myself as im not getting any joy elsewhere .

thank you for reading .:).

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Wow - that's harsh....who's to decide how bad your pain is - you surely ! Ask you GP for a referral to a pain management clinic - you may be able to have some steroid injections to help until they deem your wear and tear is bad enough.....

I went through the whole UK gamut of peripheral treatment before being referred for surgery and it was all a complete waste of resources - my physio said I can't do anything for you but help you strengthen your quads before surgery...but I still had to wait til I was almost 70 before surgery...they estimate that a knee replacement will only last so long and prefer not to do them too early in this country or you may need a 2nd for same leg before you croak...ha ha - .meanwhile, your painful limping posture will start to throw other things out of kilter (like your back) - so try and get some steroid injections if you can - you may be pleasantly surprised it will work for you for a while...good luck but don't let them dictate to you - I waited until I was completely bone on bone and wished I hadn't....good luck xx

• Posted

Hi missmag .really appreciate the info . i have a Drs appointment soon and push it a bit . I probably have been a bit soft and just got on with it but now I'm gonna have to insist on more and thorough help . thanks again x.

• Posted

i feel exactly the same way but bbb beleive breathe and battle try pain patches ice until your numb acuputure nothing works but keep trying and read read read something has to help cuz im with u this is unbearable people are also trying pot oil ?????

• Posted

I am not a doctor but that sounds to me like a short-sighed response. The answer seems to be to get you addicted to painkillers rather than actually repair the issue you have. I have had two meniscus tear repairs (one on each knee) and my daughter has had one as well, all three very successful. Not saying there is never again any pain, but certainly much improved from before the surgery. Note: a meniscus tear really has nothing to do with a total knee replacement. Can you get a second opinion?

• Posted

Hi Judy. your as right there s no miracle and pain free answer 'but if I was offered even though I dislike hospitals (most people do)I would go in tommorrow and have the meniscus repair without even thinking about it.

Thank for your help and advise which I am grateful .x.

• Posted

In my 50's I had one meniscus tear in each knee and one femoral condyle cartilage rip in each knee. Four separate events over about 7 years. All of them were painful...some more than others. In ALL cases, the MRI showed nothing so in ALL cases, my ortho just scoped my knee and fixed what was wrong. Same day surgery (always a Friday), AirCast icing for the weekend with elevation and anti-inflammatories, back to work on Monday with the AirCast bucket for a few days. No rehab...everything back to normal in 10-14 days. Back on my skates, back on the ice and in goal again.

If there is a tear, I don't understand why they just don't fix it. Simple procedure...all original pain gone immediately...post-op pain gone pretty quickly. The drugs don't fix anything and I can't see how PT fixes a tear. Maybe there is some evidence of this healing by itself but my experience was to get the op done ASAP. If you can't push them harder for it, maybe I can get Carmine and Paulie to "convince" the doc to do the op. I have them out back idling in the '68 Caddy. They can be very "persuasive".

• Posted

lol .yeah it's probably me as well.just excepting age.maybe I should seriously think about insisting on a second opinion cause I just seem to be flogged off with tabs. I'm pretty sure that's why I have paid national insurance for for over 30yrs.

cheers

• Posted

Hi Derek, I am 56 and have severe pain in my leg/knee and had an MRI and was told there is a tear in Meniscus and ortheoarthritis and bakers cysts. I had a tear years ago on the other knee and had a little surgery and have been pretty good but this time was told physip might help and to get a cortisone shot. I started physio last week and not sure if it will help but this sucks and night time seems worse lying down , I have shed many tears because I can't handle this anymore. I also have fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritis but think this pain isn't from those. So I hear ya and it is frustrating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.