Knee pain two years after TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I had TKR in February 2017 I developed a blood clot in my calf three days after my op. Once I got over that things seemed to be going well until six months when I started to get really bad pain in my knee. This has continued to get worse. I have had all sorts of scans and ex-rays but nothing conclusive has been found. On my last visit to my consultant I found out that they did not replace or do anything with my knee cap. This where most of pain is, some days it is like when you fall over and graze your knee. It is like a burning sensation with pain also. It is my belief that the cartilage and bone of my knee cap is now rubbing on metal and plastic thus causing the severe pain particularly when I go up and down stairs. Has anyone else got this problem and is it in fact due to nothing being done with the knee cap?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi ray i had tkr 3 years ago i had constant pain and very limited bend 90 deg kneecap felt like i would explode when trying to bend i had at least 10 sessions with physio who kept up the pressure on the knee surgeon said knee was fine and i wasnt doing enough work on the knee but i know how much work i put in to recover from surgery on my last follow up visit to surgeon i saw a different chap he sent me for a sunrise xray on the knee and it was found that knee cap hadnt been resurfaced and wasnt tracking properly apparently knee was slightly out of alinment

i have since had the pattela resurfaced and knee feels much better my be worth asking for the same type of xray ps it took about 2.5 years to discover this hope this helps

• Posted

That sounds about right, they did not do anything regarding my knee cap and it is my belief that it has been deteriorating over the past 18 months thus causing the increased pain especially when going up and down stairs.

I am due to have keyhole surgery to see what is going on? I have no idea what a sunrise ex-ray is or if it is even done in the UK.

I have had the feeling that my leg is now shorter and that it might not be aligned properly. But getting a consultant to admit that will no doubt prove impossible.

Thanks for the reply I will follow up on your suggestion and ask if the ex-ray is possible. I only found out in February this year that nothing had been done about my knee cap so I will also be pushing that as I am sure this is what is causing the deterioration in my knee.

Kind regards

Ray

• Posted

I had a tkr jan 2018 ive got pain at the front of my knee. I did ask my consultant when i seen him may last year did i received a new knee cap which he said no he turned my own knee cap round and hopefully it is all ok he said fingers crossed he said

• Posted

Hi im in uk the xray is done with you laying down on your back with knees bent and xray is taken from a different angle ie from above your head its as if you are looking down a ski slope you can then see if the patella button is tracking in the grove hope this helps im 10 weeks out from this op and things are much improved but they have to open original wound and recovery is much the same as a tkr good luck

• Posted

must admit not heard of turning kneecap around in my enquiries may be possible just not heard this from the op I've seen on you tube they leave patella connected on one side to do the surgery ps they don't put a new cap in they resurface the back of the existing cap with a button

• Posted

Hi alan thats what the consultant said to me he turned my knee cap around fingers crossed it works he said.

• Posted

Hi as i said in the last post not heard of this turning kneecap

around i suggest you do some investigating maybe ask your gp

or another surgeon good luck

• Posted

just to add there is a web site called the knee guru maybe you may get more advice from that site

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.