Knee pain when walking

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am 12 1/2 weeks out TKR. I am trying to walk about 2 miles several times a week. The 1st mile is good but just a little bit of discomfort but the closer I get to Two miles the pain gets a little worse. I am also  experiencing on occasion my knee buckling. I just want to know if this is normal. The doctor says I am doing great. I don't have to go back for 6 months. My leg is straight in my band is good I'm just getting inpatient for this pain to go away.

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nancy

I am almost 12 wks post LKR, so almost at the same stage as you. I find that when I walk I still feel the same tight band of stiffness that is always there. It makes me feel like I'm walking with a peg leg even though my bend is approx 125. Some days I can walk around the shops etc more comfortably than other days. If I'm going out, I try to take a 400mg ibuprofen 1/2 an hour before going out, it just takes the edge off, but this is the only pain med I have taken since around week 9. So I feel I'm doing ok, but I just wish the stiffness would go away.

I still exercise 3 x daily for 15 minutes, plus extra knee bends if I'm sitting on sofa for long periods, though I'm not sure if I'm doing enough.

I'm sure some patients are doing better than me, but I try not to compare and just keep looking forward to easier times.

Best wishes for continued recovery.

• Posted

HI Iam 15 weeks TKR and know excately what your talking about Its feels like a tight band and stifness some days are worse than others , if feels like i have something strange in there hopefull this passes . I do have a peg leg as well 

I wish the stiffness would go away and i could walk normal 

I try not to take meds in the day but def at night 

Onward we go 

• Posted

If you take your meds during the day you might be feel the tightness dissipate.  You need to keep up a circle of meds, taking them as you do now is not really an effective way of dealling with your issue.  I realise you don't want to be dependant on them, but right now you need to be consistent.  It is still early days.  Once the pain has gone and the stiffness eases, then is the time to ease back.
    • Posted

Thanks Margaret, it's good to know there's someone else that feels the same as I do. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm still in the earlier stages of healing. I have reduced my walking from 2 miles to a mile and a half and it has help to reduce the pain that I had the last half mile of a 2 mile walk. I also quit taking my Mobid anti-inflammatory for about three days to see if I really needed it. The achy stuff uncomfortable pain came back in my knee as I walk and try to sleep at night. so I'm back on it again. I have not been good about doing strengthening exercises every day. I've been allowing other things to take up my time. I do still go to therapy twice a week but I know I need to do more at home. So here's getting my act together and realizing ignoring it will not make it go away. 🙄😊
  • Posted

Nancy I forgot to mention, I too have the occasional buckling just like before my surgery, my surgeon says its normal whilst I'm still trying to strengthen my knee muscles. I too hope this will disappear within time
  • Posted

Take it easy.  Push to 1 1/2 miles and stay with that.  As the pain improves, push toward the two.  Remember, pro athletes who have had reconstructive knee surgery take it easy and listen to their bodies and increase pressure as they improve.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I took your advice and reduced my 2 mile walk to a mile and a half and it has helped. I am one of those that likes to push myself but have learned with this knee surgery I just can't push too much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.