Knee pain with no diagnosis since October 2016. Pleae help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 19 and in October 2016 my right knee randomly started hurting above and below the kneecap and behind my knee. I went to my GP when the pain didn't go away about a week later and was sent for X-rays and blood tests to check for arthritis. This came back clear and I was then sent for physiotherapy for ten weeks. This didn't help and in fact made the pain worse.

Following this I went for an MRI which came back clear, in told. My GP last week sent me for a specialist referral to see an orthopaedic surgeon however I received a letter saying my referral was declined because the condition isn't serious enough. After going back to see my GP today they have said there is nothing more they can do.

I now don't know how I can get a diagnosis for my pain it hasn't got any better in five months and I fear no one will be able to help me solve it.

Please help with any guidance you may have to try and get a diagnosis or treatment.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

  • Posted

    I hate to say it but getting the MRI read by a true orthopedic surgeon is your next step.  But be prepared...all imaging can be "inconclusive".  I had that happen two times to each knee.  Every time, the doc said that he'd have to "scope" the knee to see what was wrong.  Every time it was either a torn meniscus or femoral condyle.  Four for four.  

    Gotta get to the orthopedic surgeon any way you can.  Meanwhile, Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a great topical anti-inflammatory that you may find beneficial.

  • Posted

    Hi James2006, how did the pain start - was it from playing sport or in the gym?
  • Posted

    Oh boy this is a tricky one.  My experience when I got sent initially to an orthopaedic surgeon was that all they were able to do (yes, the 'surgeon' bit in the name says it all) was offer me knee replacements, which they did, but at that point I was really looking for alternative possibilities and there just weren't any!  But I think you've got to ask for a second opinion because this is going on now.  Can your GP refer you somewhere else? 

  • Posted

    Hi James

    I'm guessing that you are here in the U.K.?

    In which case you are in a difficult place! As the NHS is cutting down where it can, if they are saying you don't merit a referral there isn't much your GP can do! Other than you badgering your GP who then tries again(unlikely!)

    I think you DO need to see a specialist and the only way I can see, is if you can go initially privately, if you need treatment you can then go back into the system on NHS.

    Sorry you've found a medical problem at absolutely the wrong time, what with NHS cuts.

    I hope you can get something sorted soon. You're too young to be blighted like this & my heart goes out to you



  • Posted

    I had the same problem so I went private they said I need an mri and that found the problem. I'm now doing physio on my knee but I'm not improving so I may need key hole surgery. I would try and go privet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.