Knee pain with stiff fingers and stiff back

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 37 yrs old. I went for an X-ray after struggling with a lingering pain on my left knee. Doctor told me that I have early stage osteoarthritis. I am so scared and confused as I did not expect this to happen to me since I am rather inactive and I am not overweight with a bmi of 19. The problem is that I started to recall that I have been having stiff back and stiff fingers which come on and off for a period of a few years. And these have come back in the last few days. I am not sure if these are related to my knee osteoarthritis. If I wake up in the middle of the night my lower back feels locked in place. There was a few period of time where I woke up in the morning with severe back pain and I couldn't stand straight. I am now worried that my knee osteoarthritis is just one of the symptoms of something larger. Can someone advise me what could I be having ? Is it possible to have osteoarthritis in multiple joints? I have heard of the supplement glucosamine and collagen hydrosate. Do they work?  Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My heart is with you. I too have just had diagnosis neck wrist and my knees are still inflammed but X-rays not showing anything. So yes it can be in multiple joints and if like me destruct simultaneously. But as you say I have had symptoms for a decade ! I take supplements and also soak in fresh ginger daily. I am about to have PRP treatment on my wrists - coz I need my hands to work - lol. I am also taking anti malaria daily. There has been trials for osteoarthritis and hearing good reports of at least stopping further damage. I have also forced myself to keep doing my yoga each day even when hurting. Hope your doctor is supportive and explores all methods with you ! Good luck! Xx
    • Posted

Thanks Kerrie. I hope you get good results from the PRP.  Have you tried it before? I am quite depressed because I have been planning to have a baby this year or next. With this I don't think I can handle a running toddler anymore 😥  On what remedy are the trials done to stop further damage ? I would like to try. 

• Posted

There is quite a lot on internet but do discuss with doctor. I had hydraulic acid about four months it helped a lot but now trying PRP because it's using own bloods. I will let you know. Oh don't stop your plans. I am on a yacht and like you thought that's it dream over but you work around it once shock is over and you will feel better .

Um last resort and one I have not ruled out is surgery. I am twrmaring up for you! Kes 

• Posted

Don’t let this illness destroy your plans.  You will find your own way of dealing with life and a baby will keep you active and very happy - both marvelous for OA.

Google as much as you can (loads of information on there about excercising and diet.  Keep posting on here - you will get the best of help (we’ve all been there - we understand).

Good luck.  💐💐.  Constance

• Posted

Thanks Constance. I am very grateful to have all the support here... 💐

• Posted

You can have osteoarthritis in multiple joints, but its only a problem if you make it one. First its important to exercise the joints correctly, lots of medical advice on the internet from hospitals about movements to do, so they don't freeze up. 

There are various things you can try. Steroid injections when it gets back can offer limited relief. I use to use Volatol recommended by my surgeon and capsicam cream. Eventually you get to bone on bone and then if its in the right place you can get a replacement joint. Knees work really well.

I have just had my third finger joint replacement and now 1 week post op. I won't get full movement back, but I don't care, I have some and will be pain free, which is priceless. 

You could try all this other stuff, but what you need is to be able to replace the cartilage and at the moment nothing has been proven to do that. Don't worry about it, it happens, just enjoy life.  

• Posted

Thank you for the assurance 💐 You are right. Won't let this hampers me without fighting... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.