knee problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been told yesterday ::

I have a tear in menisci , a sprain and also artritis in my knee.

I need to have an operation call keyhole 

please can anyine tell me how did they get on after that?

Thanks 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have had this done twice, they usually last about 4 years.

It was day surgery and I was left with 2 very small incision wounds which heal to be invisible. I was walking with crutches for about a week.

If you have seen a physio, do your exercises before and after your surgery, they help.

Dont worry, it's not a very painful operation and you will be happy you did this.

Caz - Australia, 9 weeks post TKR

• Posted

Thanks for the replay .im not happy at all cause all this is the fault of my surgery they never took notice of my problem, I have been like this for 10 months or more just giving me paracetamol but not srnding me ti check it .naybe if they che jed it today it wouldn't be like this
    • Posted

I was hobbling around for 6 months back and forward to gp. .. casualty... before I finally got an

MRI. .. which showed the damage up until that point they said it was a soft tissue injury... 

• Posted

Is exactly he same thing that happened to me , but if I knew all this before it could have been better, now they are going to send me to phisio and they  told me to lose some weight, then i have to go back in February and then see
  • Posted

I had keyhole surgery to repair a  torn meniscus  general anaesthetic.... ..I only had a few stitches... no scarring... had op in morning home that evening.. All bandaged.... bit sore to walk for a week or so.... After that .... great.. good luck 
  • Posted

I had the same op 15 years ago. No problems with it at all. I was lucky as I've only now needed a new knee.
  • Posted

I had arthroscopic surgery (which must be the same as keyhole) on both knees about 18 years ago.The surgery itself was no problem - done as outpatient so I didn't even have 1 night at the hospital. As far as I remember recovery was easy. Only problem for me was that my meniscus was too badly torn to be repaired and was removed, so that is why I am getting knee replacements now.
    • Posted

Me too Joan. .. I had most of the cartilage removed 2 years ago and my knee gradually got to the stage it was giving way constantly every day and pain was unbearable. ... had my TKR  12 weeks ago... take care .x
    • Posted

The reason mine lasted this long is that I got 2 meniscus transplants (miserable surgery approaching tkr for rehab) and they lasted until now. Surgeon at the time said that I was too young for tkr.
    • Posted

I know I am 55    and apparently that's "    young   " for  a TKR.  .. didn't know they did meniscus transplants? ?. 
    • Posted

I don't know if they do them any more. My surgeon at the time was the surgeon to the US Ski Team (no, I wasn't on the team) and this was a new idea they had for saving the knee. It doesn't survive though. Instead of being accepted by the body it is slowly broken down and goes away. It gave me about another 16-17 years though so maybe that's more than I would have got with no menisci at all.
  • Posted

I have much the same story as everyone else. Had keyhole surgery in out patients on the right knee 7 years ago which was a snip and tidy to get rid of a "parrot beak' shaped piece of cartilage that had come adrift. Nice sleep for 45,mins and all done. Home same night. Felt fine just need to keep to instructions and not over do it. That knee will probably be replaced in a year or two. Left knee was replaces last week. 
  • Posted

There is an App called knee decide where you can see a little clip of what they do
    • Posted

Oh no !!.. I didn't want to watch.... my two daughters did and said it was horrific. .. They use actual power tools mum... is what they said... lol.
    • Posted

I can't even watch it on YouTube, not even now 10 weeks later

Caz

• Posted

I watched it with one eye open. Helped me to understand that I need to look after my knee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.