Knee problems 9 Years post TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All, I had my knee replaced about 9 years ago...did not have many issues. The replacement was a success as far as I was concerned.   But, all of a sudden, since the first of July 2016, I have had these terrible "attacks"...it starts with terrible pain in the back of knee, incredible pain!  Hard to describe, almost 10 out 10 pain...can't walk on it, move it, walk on it, lift it.  These attacks usually last about 12 hours...I rest it and ice it.  It slowly recovers, stiff and sore, but I regain some mobility.  I work in the school system so just kind of assumed these attacks would work themselves out over the summer...though maybe I pulled something.  My first attack happened while I was cleaning my daughter's room....no serious trauma.   I am scheduled to see my surgeon October 21st and my other knee is so terrible that it has to be replaced in the next year or so, according to my surgeon.  An x-ray showed Knee replacement in proper alignment.  I have these attacks weekly and they are getting to be more frequent.  In between, my knee very stiff and very sore, lots of pain.  I have been to physio which has helped relieve the painful muscles associated with this...but it has not fixed it.  I have also tried cupping and accupuncture.  I am stumped.  I did go on a trampoline field trip with my class of pre-kindergarten's in June...I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  Any information, or any advice.  One physio told me that she didnt' thing my replacement was "normal"...another said it had to do with my knee or ankle...anyone out there with similar issues?  Thanking you!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm willing to bet that the escapade on the trampoline might have something to do with you flare ups. If you had no issues until after the field trip then hum. Im only 9weeks post op so I'm still a babe as far TKR goes. I pray all goes well for you when you see the doctor.

• Posted

You need to get some xrays and soon. Just an outside chance the prosthesis is much ing. You need that worry elimnated before taking on anything else. However; the more you use it the more damage you can do if there should be a problem. Peac of mind is worth a lot.
    • Posted

I agree with you.  I am seeing my surgeon Oct 21 ...date can't come fast enough.  I did have an x-ray but they said the replacement was in the right place.  But if it is the bursa sac, I don't think an x-ray would show that.  I would need an MRI

• Posted

I was 9 years out when my lower prosthesis broke loose and started moving inside the bone. Thought I would (and did) scream every time It hit a nerve. Wound up with a revision.

Of course.......that's just one persons experience.

• Posted

That is what I am worried about...the pain can be so intense, can't describe it.  

• Posted

Hi Jeanette, I know it won't help you but when I had my one year check after my TKR, I asked the surgeon if there was anything I shouldn't do ..... trampolining was his answer. I didn't ask what it does as there's not a lot of chance of me going on a trampoline, but you need to tell your surgeon when you see him.

• Posted

Hi Susan, thank you....uggg....so stupid!!  I did not think for a minute that it would effect it.  I was there for work (class trip with Pre-K) otherwise I would not have jumped.  But I still could have gotten out of it if I wanted to.   I hope your knee is doing well.  I will pass the word on to anyone I know, DON'T JUMP ON A TRAMPOLINE WITH TKR!! 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your comments, wow, so great to hear this advice.  I was talking to a friend today and she said that it sounds like the bursa sac behind the knee...says maybe I ruptured and damaged it...the pain is right behind knee and upper calf..  This makes sense, maybe I damaged it while on the trampoline.  Curious why my physio wouldn't figure that might the cases.  Any comments?  And what is treatment.  

• Posted

Also, my knee really swells up...huge!!!  My friend says that the fluid from the damaged bursa leaks into the knee and that is why it swells and is so painful.  
  • Posted

I saw my surgeon this morning, there was a cancellation.  He told me I need a total knee revision.  Very dissappointed sad  Was hoping it was just bursitis.  

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you're going to need revision surgery. Praying for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.