Knee Replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been told today that i need both knees replacing due to OA any advice on what to expect?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alan.  I can tell you that my uncle at over 70 had both knees replaced and says it was the best thing he ever did.  He is now mobile again. I don't think he's were because of OA though.  If it helps I would certainly go for it if I was in your position but my main bit of advice would be to follow the doctors' orders and make sure you do everything they tell you to do for as long as they tell you to do it.  This is make sure you heal properly.

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi Alan, I have OA but mine is in a location where the joint cannot be replaced so I have no personal knowledge of this surgery.  Whilst I  was in hospital as a result of a major accident I was in the orthopaedic surgical ward and a number of others there were having this done.  All were up and about very swiftly and everyone commented about how nice it was to be out of pain.  They will probably only do one at a time, to give you time to recuperate before the next one.  As soosisoo has said, it's critically important to follow their advice about how best to recover to get the best possible outcome, eg diet, exercise etc.  As with any surgical procedure, the fitter you are going into it, the quicker the recovery time.  Discuss with your consultant/surgical team what self-help measures you can take before the surgery to make sure you get into the best possible condition beforehand.  Good luck hon.
  • Posted

I look forward to hearing the answers as I am going for a knee X-Ray tomorrow prior to discussing my options
  • Posted

Hi Alan.  Hope all goes well for you on the assessment today.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are silly. This is a very important, life changing op for you and you need to be totally  happy with what is going to happen, that way you will enjoy (as best you can) the whole experience.  Try to go in feeling positive and my very best wishes to you.  Let us know the outcome? xx
    • Posted

had the assessment an have been told that i will have my right knee one early next year and the left one appx 12 weeks after providing everything goes ok on the first op. i wondered if any one hd been op'd on at the Berkshire Independent Hospital ad what was their comments.

i thnk the anaesthesia in in the back followed by a nice sleep sounds the best way for me. Bring it on!!!!

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan.  That is a nice quick turnaround for you.  You will be tripping the light fandango in no time.  All nice and ready for next year's beach holiday. 

• Posted

I just want to be able to walk my dogs and play with my grandchildren like a proper grandad should be able to>
    • Posted

Can you do things that entail kneeling after the operation?
    • Posted

some can most cant , but you will find other ways of doing things .

• Posted

I sem to spend a lot of time kneeling behind computers and low entertainment devices. Then painting a skirting board?
    • Posted

that sounds like it will be some thing to work for , i can get down on the floor , on my bum , getting up is hard i kina turn over and push myself up , must look funny 

• Posted

had both mine done ,9 and a half months and3 and a half months ago , wont lie its a tough op , painfull and tearfull , lack of sleep , lots of exercise , if i were you i would swim to build the muscles up before in will help after , i couldnt do much working , and was off work on the sick , im 53 and wanted to get back to work and be able to play with my grandchildren , with out having to say i cant do . the first one was the hardest , the second was much quicker ,14 weeks post op and i went back to work 2 weeks ago ,my job is full time in a school kitchen feeding 1700 people every day so very very busy , i can walk round the shops again , by the end of the day im tired and my knees ache . when you have the op it will be done with a spinal , your sleepy and wont really remember much , but it is easy nothing to worrie about , just do as your told and dont over do things your body will tell you , its a tough op hard work and pain, tears ,sleeples nights but the time goes so fast and before you know it you will find that you can do things you cant now , well worth the pain etc , just to feel normal again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.